Friday, July 9, 2010

A Clearance Aisle Craft

I have been so preoccupied getting my house set up, hanging pictures and unpacking boxes that I've not done a lot of crafting lately. When I stumbled onto this project....I knew I had to try it. But what to use the pretty little flowers for? I needed a Red, White and Blue wreath for my front door and so the hunt began. I looked in the Target "Hey I'm a Dollar" bin and found some cute patriotic socks for $.50 a pair. Not too bad. They also had 4 handkerchiefs left in the same colors...so I snatched them up too.
I cut one red and one blue handkerchief into strips. Those of you who have ever crafted with me knows I didn't measure them. I just started cutting.
For the remaining 2 I cut them into wider strips.
Since the fabric was so short I tied some of them together so I could have bigger flowers. Instead of gluing them on felt I just glued it onto itself as I twisted. I'm not going to lie and tell you that I didn't burn the crap out of my fingers and let a few expletives fly....cause I did. But I will tell you that it was worth it. Then I glued a button (from the giant jar of buttons that I inherited from my Grandma) into the center of each one.
I took a coupon to Michael's Crafts and bought a foam wreath base and cut an opening in it. (You can see the cut I made in the upper left-hand corner of the pic.) I took the socks and cut the toe and the heel off them and decided on a pattern.....I'm not very good with random.
I then slipped the sock ring over the slit in the foam ring and squooshed them together. When I had all that would fit...about 15 pairs of short socks....I glued the rosettes on the top.
I have this many left for another day!!
This was what my front door looked like before. Since moving in I painted the door black and added the vinyl Welcome. I moved this wreath inside (because I love it!!) and tied a piece of twine on my sock wreath to hang it with.
Here it is. Not too shabby....for socks. You could use any cute socks you wanted. I have seen so many color combos I'd like to try.
You should try this one. It was easy....and it's stinkin' cute!!
I am linking up with Susan at BNOTP. Check out her party. I love this one!!

8 comments:

Kim said...

WOW Shrub that is way stinkin cute! LOVE IT!

Kammy said...

I love this, I want to steal this, I love this........
So cute ~
Kammy

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

It is so very cute and colorful!!! Some great resources for a wonderful splash of color!!!

Kelly @ PatchworkAndPaperPiecing said...

This is definately a must-do for me! What an awesomely creative idea! I'm thinking of raiding my sock drawer right now!

Connie said...

Brilliant. Clever. Colorful. Wonderful. LOvE IT!!!!

Nae said...

It is STINKIN' cute! I would love to give it a try. The flowers are fabulous!

Diana said...

Wow, that is cute! I love it!

Chrys said...

You never cease to amaze me! The creativity just never stops at your house:) I LOVE IT.