Five years ago I was at my Mom's house. I found a book there that I remembered seeing in a bookstore ad...but hadn't heard much about. It was Twilight. Later that week my Mom passed away and I picked up the book. I couldn't sleep and needed a distraction. I read it all night and finished when my Dad was getting up for the day. It was just what I needed to keep my mind numb. The next day I went out and bought the next book in the series. It helped to take the edge off the pain and the anger and the sadness.
Flash forward five years. It is my Mom's birthday today. I started another book...Beautiful Creatures. It is a story that revolves around a girl with mysterious powers who will be claimed by either the light or the dark on her birthday....February 11th. What are the odds that I would start this book today, February 11th, when it has been sitting in my house for a month. I had the biggest grin on my face. My Mom was sitting next to me, just for a split second, smiling too. I know I'm not alone in this trial. I have amazing friends who look out for me and of course my sweet sisters, who get it. My beautiful family that loves me through the loss and sadness have been amazing. But this year I have been able to draw closer to my Savior. He gets my grief. He has felt it....the way I am feeling it. That has brought me more comfort than I can say. I am better this year than I have been in the last five. I know the week isn't over yet...but I am stronger. I'll just take it as it comes.
We've Moved!
1 year ago

5 comments:
My heart hurts for your grief and I wish I could take it all away. I am thankful that you are surrounded by so many wonderful friends and family. I know our Savior can and will continue to help you throughout this most difficult week.
You are in my prayers.
I wasn't a sobbing mess this year....still grouchy as all get out though! Haha! I'm glad the pain isn't as much! I found myself grinning with Mom by my side yesterday as well when Cy informed me of something I must have said....bahaha! Love you Shrub!
I love you Lori!
YOU are a rock star.
I firmly and whole-heartedly KNOW that You are being lifted up. He knows what you need. And the blessing comes that you can feel it and recognize it through your own pain. You are beautiful!
Post a Comment