Monday, November 23, 2015

Buckhorn Basin

Hieroglyphs are pictures that are drawn onto the face of a rock or other surface and stand for an object, sound or idea or so says the Itchy Feet Traveler. We saw some on our trip to Buckhorn Basin recently. I really wasn't expecting to be impressed at all. Seriously...whatever is at the end of a 5 hour car ride had better include my kids or Disneyland because nothing else will allow me to forget that I just sat in a car that long. This place wasn't quite as cool as seeing my kids but...it was pretty dang cool.
These Hieroglyphs are 1000 years old!! I loved making up my own interpretation. This one is a family pic with a heart below it. Obviously I pull that from my own existence. I miss my own kids so much that that is what I would plaster on every single wall I could reach.
We were here with my Dad and Zeffie. I love the relationship that my Dad and Jim have. They have been buddies forever and I love that they like to do the same kinds of things together.
The weather was perfect. It was warm (for mid-November) and sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. We just couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day.
Sunshine and stunning vistas made this a top ten day for sure!!
This was before the hiking part of the day (which wasn't bad at all).
Dad, Zeffie and Jim reading a bit of the history of the area.
Fall foliage and blue skies.
The sheer cliff that the hieroglyphs were on went straight up from the ground. It was awe inspiring to stand there and think about the people who stood here 1000 years ago and drew on this rock.
I'm not sure how soon they can convince me to go back...not without staying the night somewhere close by. But I do want to go back and see more.
Who wouldn't want to see this again??

No comments: