Monday, August 1, 2011

Older Kids

So, it's Monday again. If you are anything like me....your house looks like this. My sweet hubby works long hours during the week so when the weekend comes I don't like to spend my time cleaning. I'd rather spend the time hanging out with him. Of course when our kids were small I would dread Monday....digging out from under all that mess with two little ones following behind messing everything back up was so frustrating. I have a simple solution now that they are older. I send them each a very simple text message. "Hey. I need the kitchen clean before lunch." Easy.....No yelling. No begging. No excuses.
Much better. Now I can focus on my bathroom, the vacuuming and the other chores that don't tend to be so overwhelming. They can work on their laundry and sending in job applications and being busy little bees for the rest of their day while being so sweet and kind to each other.
hahahahahahaha.....Now that you've picked yourself up off the floor and suppressed the laughter...yes, wipe the tears....For real, they cleaned at the kitchen for about 15 minutes before the yelling and rudeness began. I threw a fit and yelled right back. Now the kitchen is clean and the kids are who knows where (and who really cares at this point). As long as they aren't bickering at each other.....I'm sure the house will look great by this evening when Hubby comes home.....But will I be sane???

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

WHA!? Your life isn't perfect?

Yea, mine either...

Heather said...

Thanks for keeping it real. I love you!

Connie said...

Great post, I was thinking how great the texing to the teens worked...then the truth came out.
It made me laugh.

Kathleen said...

you mean the bickering and whining doesn't stop once they get older???!!! you're killing me, smalls!

Kim said...

Funny! So I leave my girls 'to do' lists each day...when I came home today...Kelsey's was done..Kayla's wasn't. Here Kayla accidently did Kelsey's and Kelsey got mad and wouldn't do Kayla's...so half the list wasn't done...oh and it was my fault...cuz usually Kayla's list is on the right side..hmmm...don't know how to read her own name I guess....older kids...gotta love them.