Saturday, August 3, 2013

What's For Breakfast?

This isn't a food blog. I don't spend hours cooking. I am very basic in the kitchen. My Mom was the same way. Usually I'd just grab a bowl of whatever-sugary-cereal we had on hand and that would be breakfast. Then I decided to eat a little better. Clean up my diet you might say. I used to eat a yogurt/cottage cheese blend once in a while. While being yummy it did have quite a few calories and no fiber. So here is what I have come up with. I use plain nonfat yogurt, granola (and more recently Kashi) craisins, walnuts and Chia seeds. This not only tastes good but keeps me full all morning.
1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurt (53 calories, 6 grams protein)
1/4 cup craisins (98 calories, 1 1/2 grams fiber)
1/4 cup low fat granola (48 calories, 1.2 grams fiber, 1.5 grams protein)
1/8 cup walnuts (100 calories, 1.5 grams fiber, 2,5 grams protein)
1 TBS Chia seeds (47 caolorie, 3.3 grams fiber, 1.7 grams protein)
So for 346 calories I get a whopping 7.6 grams of fiber and 11.7 grams of protein. It is sweet enough with the craisins to curb and sugary cravings I have in the morning and keeps me full. I will say that using the Kashi (honey, almond and flax cereal changes the totals to 8.3 grams of fiber and 12.4 grams of protein with the same number for calories). 
Just something to think about....trying new things maybe isn't so bad ;)

1 comment:

Kim said...

This is similar to what I make...sometimes I add some nuts of some kind. I like to keep my meals to around the 300 calorie mark...if I can :)