Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Seasons

One of the things I like about Nebraska is the sky. I love the wide open feel of it. I can stand on my back porch and see the lights of the downtown area. I can drive passed the lake and see the sunset and the glowing lights of the high school football game.
The sky is unencumbered here. There are no mountains or large forested areas to hem it in. Just blue and beautiful as far as the eye can see. 
Sunset used to be my favorite time of day. We were all home from work and school and practices and appointments. The kids were on their way to bed. They were still breathing (don't judge. Some days that was a big deal). 
Sunset was the signal to unwind and relax. It was quiet and calm. It wasn't asking for anything. It was just there to make me happy. And it did. 

About the time my kids hit high school there was a shift for me. I started getting up earlier (for me this time, not for them). I started to feel the energy of the sun rise. The promise of a new day appealed to me. No more mistakes of the day before. 
A signal for a new start. New chances to do a little better. Be a little better. 
There are seasons in life as well as in nature. I am loving this new season. My sunrise season. Life is good. 

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

Wow, those sunrises are gorgeous! Abram caught a pretty one this morning, too! But, I do love me some MN sunsets! Actually, I like ALL sunsets, I don't care where they are!

Kim said...

Man I sure do miss you something awful!

Heather said...

Not sure how I missed this post until now. Beautifully written, but man it makes me miss you so much that my gut AND my heart hurt!!!