Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Last Day

I'm not sorry to say that today was my last day as a full-time sub. I was a little sad last week when I thought about all of the amazing women that I have been blessed enough to work with. These women have devoted their lives to educating children. They are good to their very cores and I have learned so much from them. As I was thinking about it last week....I decided there were a few kids I was going to miss too. I have become very fond of a few of them. And then today happened. As of this minute...I am over it. I am done. I am laying part of the blame on the fact that I am tired....and I am blaming the stress in my life for that. I am also laying part of the blame on PMS. Everyone with any possibility of rational thought knows you never mess with a hormonal woman...it just isn't done in polite society. The rest of the blame has to be laid at the feet of one of the kids in class today. We'll call him Bouncy Boy...or BB for short. He has been struggling lately and has had some med changes...BUT...I have seen this kid make a conscious effort to make good choices and pull himself out of a behavior pattern before it gets out of hand....so I know it can be done. There was another sub in the room today. (The room I've been in for the last few months has a teacher and 2 para-professionals.) The teacher left the room for a minute and BB lost it. I mean literally...he lost his frickin' mind. He started kicking me and when I was escorting him to the "quiet area" he swacked me with his head and continued to kick me. All I could think of was...stay calm...don't kill him in front of the other kids....don't get blood on my shoes...And lucky for me...I did just that. I got him to the "quiet area" with some assistance from the other sub and quickly walked away from him so I would not be tempted to place my hands on him in any way. My hands were shaking when I got back to my desk. I was close to screaming obscenities when the cutest little girl (when she chooses to be) came up to me and in her sweet little Cindy Loo Hoo voice asked me if I would read her a story. In that instant...my anger was defused and I was no longer seeing a red halo around everything in my field of vision. I read to this sweet little poppet and I could feel my blood pressure return to it's normal range. The rest of the day was rocky for BB and I. While I still wanted to set him on fire...I tried to keep my distance as much as one can while explaining the mysteries of second grade math from BB and finished the day with relief. I will miss Poppet and the others...but BB...not so much. I will miss the women I have become friends with and I will miss their support and encouragement. 2 years ago when this job literally fell in my lap...I wasn't sure why. I have learned so much and have grown from the experiences I've had. You just gotta trust "The Plan". There is one. It really isn't our job to figure out what it is...our job is to just do it. I have told my kids a lot lately...God doesn't always give us what we want....but he ALWAYS gives us what we need. If we are lucky...they turn out to be the same thing.

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

WOW! I have SOOOOO been there, sister! And how. I'm glad you were able to keep your calm. It is so hard some days. Bless you for all your work in that school. We parents thank you BIG TIME!!!

Kim said...

Go with God! The plan always works..it might be a struggle getting to 'the plan' but it always works out.

Nancy said...

Thanks for posting that Lori. I really like the last part. Hugs!

Kim said...

You are an amazing woman! I am not sure I could have kept my cool! That school and those kids are truly loosing one fabulous lady!

Love ya!

Charlene said...

I couldn't agree with you more! God knew we needed jobs, just wasn't the places I thought I would end up in!! Still very grateful to have a job!!

Nae said...

You most definitely have been called to make a difference in the lives of the children you have worked with, just as much as they have been called to make a difference in your heart. You have a gift, dear Lori!

the mom~ said...

Bless your heart, you are a wonderful woman for doing the job you do!!! I love the last part of the post.

Teri said...

Okay...I've decided to come out as one of your blog-stalkers. I happened upon your blog via a craft you posted...and I must say I visit frequently because I love what you have to say! As I was reading along I discovered you live in Minnesota but used to live in Idaho. Wierd!! I grew up in Minnesota (about an hour away from you as a matter of fact) and I now live in Idaho...recently moved to Boise from Pocatello. I feel like I know you!!! I wanted you to know I really appreciated your last post, especially the end where you said that God doesn't always give us what we want, but he always gives us what we need. Thank you for being a woman of faith and uplifting someone you don't even know!