Hiding from things that are big and scary in my life is a coping skill that has worked for me since 4th grade. While I was in the 4th grade I wasn't a very good student. I would do like half of an assignment and then get distracted (I know...hard to believe right!!) and I would never turn it in. My parents would go to my parent-teacher conferences and clean out my paper-stuffed desk and find many many half done assignments. My Dad decided that I would be required to bring home homework every night. Whether or not I had anything to finish...I was supposed to bring home my math book. Well, early on in this little arrangement I forgot my book. Truly...I just forgot. I knew I would be toast when my Dad got home from work. Instead of being proactive and trying to get a ride back to school to get it or cleaning my room really well so maybe he'd be so distracted by my cleanliness he'd forget to punish me....I went to bed and took a nap. Yep..total avoidance...and that is where I am right now. Complete and total avoidance. As much as I can get away with and still keep those in my life from worrying too much. Moving to Nebraska is becoming the elephant in the room. I know it is there....I just don't want to deal with it. Instead of dealing with things in a proactive way...I have been finding crafts to do. I saw
this one and had to try it. But I got a little distracted (GASP!! I know...) and started a couple of fun little things for some of my besties. This is what my thoughts look like today...

Random and all over the place...I know...

This is what I was going to work on for real...Of course my "Before" shots are non-existent. I had some 2x6 pieces left over from
this project. They were all the same size (unlike the project inspiration) but that is OK. Use what you've got...Then I put a thin layer of Mod Podge on them and some pretty scrapbook paper (that was waiting for the "perfect" project) and then another thin layer of Mod Podge and let the whole thing dry really well. Then I took the rotary sander to it. And then, of course took the Distress Ink to the whole thing.

I just LOVE the Distress Ink....very easy to use.

And then...because I have a friend who is fabulous enough to let me use her Cricut...I cut out some letters because I don't like making a stencil...(I'm lazy...remember...)

I put some ribbon and some furniture brads on for embellishments and there we are. Another little something to go in the laundry room...in my new house...that is somewhere in Nebraska...that I have never seen before. I have seen it in my head, however....and it is fabulous. It has a chandelier and everything!!

So for now....don't feel sad for me and my lack of appropriate coping skills. I am getting by just fine with what I've got. Really...I am....And to Teri...thanks for saying HI. What a funny coincidence. I hope you liked Pocatello. My sisters work there and I have family in Boise. It's a great area!!
I will be linking this to
Met Monday. Check out the other great projects!!
9 comments:
Oooh...looks like you stuff you are making. I love your laundry blocks. Super fabulous. I have tracked down a blog with some fabulous coping strategies. NOT THAT YOUR'S AREN'T FABULOUS! (Great cookies, btw!) http://www.37days.com/2010/03/how-to-pack-for-a-trip-how-to-travel-light-how-to-have-fun-in-airports.html
Don't let the travel thing fool you. They all apply to life as well. Check it out! Love you and always remember YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM ME!!!!!! I WILL FIND YOU!
Lori,
I like this craft. It's so versatile, just imagine all the "sayings" you could make! I like the sanding and distressing ink...it makes quite a statement. Thanks for sharing.
Sharlotte
I love your coping skills, they are the same as mine :)
LOVE the laundry blocks too...probably because I love laundry so much, crazy I know :)
I love this! And we have the same coping skills (and the same phone, btw) - I've always been an "ignore it and maybe it will go away" kind of person. Unfortunately, it never seems to work out that way.
In the mean time - happy crafting!!
I put it off until I absolutely have no choice left but to do it, and then I do it. Then I do it ten-times faster than normal and wonder why I was dreading it...what took me so long.
I like that you repurposed what you had to make the sign. It turned out great, I think!
Hope you'll drop by AtticMag to give JaneT some advice on making a bench from a vintage bed.
Oh you are so sweet! I have a feeling if we were ever in the same state at the same time we would be fast friends. And as far as coping skills go, you managed to cope with Minnesota winters...for you NOTHING is impossible!
Your Laundry blocks are FABULOUS! Wouldn't you know it... we have another thing in common... Napping is my favorite escape too!! We are definitely sisters-in-spirit.
You crack me up. Cute stuff.
I caught wind that you may not be at the reunion. I REALLY hope you are at the reunion!!! I mean, I know you're moving and all, but since you are avoidance mode, just ignore the move and go to Idaho.
Post a Comment