Today I was in a crafty type mood. Actually it started last week but I had to work....so it had to wait. I usually don't do many projects on the weekends because the Hubs is home and I try to spend my time
adoring hanging out with him. But today I needed to get this done so I can get it in the mail. See...Valentines Day (a.k.a. the Dreaded Dark Day) is coming up....I try to have something nice to give my sisters....something that says "I love you, and I'm thinking about you". I try to start early in case I get
over come with emotion too bummed out to function. I started this craft with a beautiful 2x6 that the lovely folks at Home Depot cut into 9" sections for me.

Then I painted them black, let them dry and sanded them.....all under the watchful eye of the Hubs, who couldn't believe that I didn't sand them first and then paint them.....amateur. Then I rubbed on some stain and wiped it off with a clean rag.

Then I cut some paper down to size and Mod Podged it to the board. After that I repeated the process with a photo collage that I ordered from Picnik. My sisters and I had some awesome pics taken this summer (by my BFF Heather). The pics were our first attempt to get some photos of us without Mom. It was hard and I think we used laughter to mask the wrongness of the whole situation.

More photos and more magic Mod Podge.

After the bottom layer had dried I gooped on a thick top layer. While I waited for it to dry Hubs and I went outside to enjoy the beautiful sunny 35* day. I needed that sunshine more that I can say.....plus the stain had stunk up the kitchen something fierce.

After the Mod Podge was mostly dry I cut some ribbon to cover the transition area. I could have left it blank or used some other material....but I am limited in my craft choices due to my lack of proximity to Hobby Lobby.

Cutesy embellishment on the ribbon....a daisy because they remind us of Mom....and it is finished. The text on the photos is hard to read....but I think it will make them smile.

I love crafting almost as much as I love my sisters. Someday, when I live closer to them, we will do lots of crafty things together. It's good to dream.

On Monday, I will link this to
Metamorphosis Monday. There will be hundreds of great ideas to look at and be inspired by. You should go there....I'm just saying.
I am also linking with
Something I Whipped Up.
20 comments:
Beautiful! How fun!!! You make me jealous not to have sisters! Love you! Whats up with the great vaalue bread???? Sara Lee......
I love these!!! They are soooo cute! Good job!
Very cute idea. It's great that you have such a great realtionship with your sisters. You are so blessed.
Cute! Glad Jim finally made it on the blog :c)
again, so crafty! You have a lot of talent. you are very lucky to have such great sisters. I have a neighbor that I adopted as a sister and everyone says we even look alike. you are great to always do so much for your sisters.
Your creativity amazes me! Too cute! Wish I had sisters...
Just darling girl...loved seeing this clever idea...thanks for sharing...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
What great gift for your sisters. Thanks for sharing.
Another great idea, and something I think that I can actually do!
They turned out wonderful! Sisters are so special. Mod Podge rules!!
What a great idea! I'd love to make something like this for my family. Very nice!
Sandra
Wonderful idea !
Kammy
Lori, What a wonderful gift! What are the words at the top? I can't read them all. I am so glad that you are so close with your sisters! I am very proud of you all! I hope this Valentines Day isn't a bad day for you. Use it as a day to be thankful for your Mom and think about how her favorite thing in the whole world is to be with her daughters and grand-daughters! She will be with you now too! We all have Guardian Angles! Luv you!
Lovely project! I am sure your sisters will be very happy to receive such a lovely memory.
Wow, this is so cute! I love them! What a fun idea to put pictures on there too!
So pretty!! What a great gift!
Lori,
That is very pretty.. You and your sister's seem to be having fun. I was being crafty tonight and totally messed up, so I decided to blog. Tomorrow is another day. I even ran out to the store to get one more thing I needed... oh well...LOL Can't be crafty everyday!!!
What a great idea!
I love it. I definitely make some of these when I decorate my new place
OMG, is that a Hot Fries bag in the background? LOVE those. I used to eat those in Minnesota allthe time!
Post a Comment