I loved this pic that Kevin sent home. It is the suit coats of the missionaries at a conference. I love that their name tags are visible. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the pic....but I knew I wanted to display it somehow.
I also wanted to make something for my Dad. Not sure why really....he is not exactly the kind of guy that likes crafty things. But since I needed a project to fill part of my day off (so the entire day wasn't spent cleaning) I decided to work on it. I took another hunk of the 2x6 the guy at Home Depot cut for me and painted it black....and then rubbed it with bananas. No, I didn't. I am making banana bread at the same time....silly....
Then, I mod Podged the picture and some red paper to the wood.
After that had dried, I put a thick layer of Mod Podge on top of it all. Yes....I do use my library card for more than just checking out books!! It is very useful at getting those Mod Podge bubbles out!
After that had dried I took the sander to it. I roughed up the edges of the paper and the photo. I even ran the sander over the surface of the paper.
Then I took my Distress Ink pad and rubbed it all over the photo and red paper. Then I wiped it around with a paper towel. I also did the edges of the wood. It did a pretty god job of giving the wood a more "vintagey" feel and didn't stink up my house like wood stain does.
Then I used Heather's Cricut because Jim doesn't think I'll use one enough to justify the expense because I am saving up for my own....and I cut out some letters. I do wish the "Called" was more centered....but whatever!
Of course I didn't use ribbon on this project. I needed something a little more rugged....more manly....so I grabbed my jute twine and tied some on. I love the way it turned out. I am thinking about making a wire photo/card holder for the top of the block. What do you think?
I will be linking this to Met Monday (again). You'll have to head over there (on Monday) to look at all of the great ideas that bloggers are coming up with. You'll love it!
I also wanted to make something for my Dad. Not sure why really....he is not exactly the kind of guy that likes crafty things. But since I needed a project to fill part of my day off (so the entire day wasn't spent cleaning) I decided to work on it. I took another hunk of the 2x6 the guy at Home Depot cut for me and painted it black....and then rubbed it with bananas. No, I didn't. I am making banana bread at the same time....silly....
20 comments:
I really like that. You should make one for each of those Elders in the picture...for their mamas ;) Ya know in all your spare time, lol.
These little boards are awesome, I love them!!!
Ok for a split second I believed the banana thing...wondering to myself what rubbing the banana did? Just a split second :)
Very cool...I love it! I am sure your dad will too. I'm going to do this for grandparents next Christmas. Oh and I love how that photo turned out...very nice.
I think it looks JUST right. The small heart adds to it too. What font are you working with there? We need to get together and put our craft on. I have a few cricut fonts we can experiment with too! The picture Kevin took is awesome as well. Great way to recognize his calling.
Oh that just warms my heart. That is a wonderful way to display that special photo.
By the way, I have an award for you, go check out my blog for the details.
That turned out so nice. I'm sure your dad will enjoy it.
Have a great week..
I love this craft. My husband is a paramedic and that would be a great gift for him and his crew. Now . . . how to get the picture.
Excellent. I really need that Distress Ink pad. I'm glad you left it out so I would know what to ask for next time I happen upon a Joann's in civilization. :-) Thank you!
What a nice idea to do with a great photo.
I really like this. Your dad should love it as well.
Lori,
This is such a special gift! I love the idea...just think of all the possibilites!Thanks so much for sharing!
Sharlotte
This project turned out so nicely. Very, very cool.
What a crafty girl you are my sista! Love it and I love you!
Loved the banana joke. This is a really creative idea! Very neat. :-)
Ooh, I like that!
Really like how it turned out...that pic is great. Thanks for sharing!
~Nancy
what an awsome idea!
Um, WOW! I would never have even begun to be able to think of doing something like that. I'm the great pretender. I am great at copying other people's ideas.
Man, I wish you lived here again so you could help me with Enrichment (ahem, relief society meeting) ideas! They just put me in as that leader person and I am so jealous of all your cute and easy ideas! So, don't be surprised if some of your Idaho friends show up with some of your craftys in their homes! ♥love them♥
OK, Lori...who needs Martha Stewart when you're around. Talk about talent.
Post a Comment