Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lost and Found

When we moved here 3 years ago we had movers that did our packing and moving for us. Fabulous....you say. Well, sure in theory. In actuality...it was terrible. We had had movers before and we had such a great experience. They were very professional and not a thing was scratched, dinged, dented or harmed in any way. Our move here was another story. The company Hubby works for hired the movers (we weren't given a choice of company). The timing of our move was a little tricksy. The truck, driver and crew were to show up and spend 2 days packing and then truck and driver would head on down the road to Minnesota where Hubby was waiting for them. I was to leave for a trip with my darling son and his ballroom dance team. We were headed on a cruise and we were to leave the day after the truck left town. I tell you this so you don't wonder why....when 3 rejects from drug re-hab showed up with the company truck driver....I didn't tell them to get out until said driver came back with a real (experienced) packing crew. You probably think I exaggerated about the drug re-hab drop-outs....no. For real...that is how they were introduced. Fresh from rehab and looking for work and possibly a new trade. My lucky day. I had to show them how to pack a box and use the very nice paper to insure the least amount of breakage to the items in the box. Of course I couldn't be everywhere all the time and the guys succumbed to the grab and dump style of box packing. When Hubby opened the boxes on his end....he was just sick. There were broken treasures everywhere. Long story short...trauma...lots of trauma. So when I came upon the 3 boxes that held my Cinderella collection I was more than hesitant to open them. In fact...I didn't. I couldn't. Seeing what they had done to my dresser and my bags of flour and my telephone...and lets not forget the kitchen chairs....I just knew I wouldn't be able to face a headless figurine or a broken...beloved....snowglobe. Fast forward 3 years and I think enough time has passed for my emotional connection to "just stuff" has eased up a bit and I now have some perspective. Like what on earth am I going to do with 3 boxes of stuff I have NO intention of using any more? Given the fact that we intentionally bought a smaller house with little storage options...this stuff had to be looked at and dealt with. So today I dug them out.
These two pics encompass the survivors. Those lucky souls that sustained no damage. This is my collection. I have been given a lot of it from relatives for birthday and Christmas gifts. All of this, at one time, was among my greatest most treasured "stuff". I had it all displayed in my craftroom and I looked at it daily. But over the last few years my NEED for it has waned and now I can let some if it go.
The not so lucky causalities. The bottom of the box. The broken and weeping masses. Dramatic...I know. But they deserve some sympathy and a bit of heart break for their years of selfless service.
The mountain of paper that protected some and betrayed others.
This is what is left of my collection. I will keep this manageable pile to display in my new craftroom....in my new house. The rest of it...well....some special treasures were put in a box to ship to my nieces and nephew in Idaho. The rest will be donated to the H&F yard sale next month. It will be hard to say good-bye to such faithful friends....but it's only stuff....right?

4 comments:

Nae said...

I can understand why you would want to protect yourself from the trauma of seeing the carnage your Cinderella collection. You picked the *smart* route to pare-down and just same the best of the best and gift or give away the rest. I have several collections and once they get to a certain size, it is hard to really appreciate them. I need to do a purge too.

Rochelleht said...

Ah, it's hard to let got, but I do love me some Cinderella. This is how I used to be about Gone with The Wind, you may remember. It was very liberating to let it go.

I have to say, though, just looking at all your stuff made me happy. I really love Cinderella.

Kim said...

After thinking about it is just 'stuff'. The people who gave you the gifts mean more. Now your nieces and nephews will treasure it and then in time will pass it on.

Jane said...

At least the pieces lets you know that you are loved. The pieces from family and friends all carry love. Good luck there girl.