Monday, July 5, 2010

First Holiday

This was our first holiday in Omaha. We like the 4th of July as much as the next guy. We enjoy watching the fireworks and having picnics and family time. What we didn't know was how much Nebraskans love it too. I don't know if it is a military thing (we are 10 miles from Offutt Air Force Base) or if it is a middle of he country thing....but it was crazy. On the night of the 3rd there was a fireworks display in our own subdivision that rivaled my small hometown in Idaho....not to mention across the entire valley. We sat on our deck and watched a better fireworks show than we have ever seen before....bar none.In the sub-division across from ours they had more fireworks than I would have thought possible. Then on the night of the 4th they had even more. It was a bit hazy when everyone got their pyrotechnics started....and it only got worse. I can only imagine, but in all of the war movies I have watched....our neighborhood turned into a scene from a war movie. It was loud and had bright flashes of light and the smoke was so thick it was burning our eyes.Those are not mountains in the distance. They are the houses just behind the houses in the front of the pic. That is how thick the haze was. Hubby's parents agreed that is was the most impressive fireworks they had ever seen. In the morning when we went outside, our front yard was covered with cardboard that had rained down from the exploding shells that housed the colorful fire in the sky.Usually we have a great view of the whole valley. The night of the 4th we could barely see across the street.The loudness of having so many HUGE fireworks going off was deafening. It really started out as impressive and ended as over-stimulating. I do hope that next year (now that we know what to expect) my sisters (including HH and Nae) will come to experience it with us.I hope you all have had a safe and family-filled 4th of July. God bless America!

4 comments:

Rochelleht said...

WOW! That is something! Glad you guys had so much fun.

Nae said...

So glad to hear that your holiday was extra-festive! I hope I can come to see it in person too next year.

the mom~ said...

Crazy! I love fireworks, but not smoky air!

msorensen said...

that would be fun!! I hope our visit next year will accomodate the 4th of July!!!