Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Three: Grand Cayman

We got up extra early to get on the little boat to take us to shore so we could explore the island of Grand Cayman. There was a little snafoo while we were trying to disembark (with 500 of our closest friends). We were late getting into position (blame it on strong tides) so instead of a smooth transition....it was crowded and smelly and angry. But since it is a rule that no one can be angry in paradise.....it was quickly forgotten when we got to shore.
We started in a little area of the island known as Hell. It has an interesting limestone formation that gives it that name. It also has the oldest post office on the island and if you mail a letter from there is will be post marked From Hell.
Our second was the rum factory. Since we aren't drinkers....this wasn't much of a draw. Not even at the promise of the free samples. We hung out outside and took pictures at the pretty beach instead.
Our next stop was the turtle farm. I think it was one of my favorite things about the trip. I got to hold a hatchling and Jim held a turtle that was about 8 months old.
They have a breeding operation there for the Green Sea Turtle that is almost extinct. They have several ponds with turtles of various ages. Did you know that they can't tell the gender of a sea turtle until it is eight years old. Then the males develop longer tails than the females.
While the eggs are incubating the farm can control the gender of the turtles by maintaining a constant temperature. If it is kept at 82* the turtles will all be female. If it is higher than that they will all be male. If it fluctuates....there will be both.
We stopped on our way back to the bus for a snack at the turtle farm's restaurant. Did you know that turtle meat is the official meat of Grand Cayman.....and that they serve it in the restaurant. Yeah...like going to a puppy farm and eating a puppy on the way out the door. Not cool. But The Walkers and Jim were able to try it. Consensus was unfavorable.....like fishy chicken. I'll pass.
Our next stop took us to a boat. We got to sit on the bow, with the sea spray in our faces. Good thing the sun came out cause man was that cold!!

Side note....Another unedited water picture. The water was the most beautiful color!!
We rode the boat out to a sand bar and jumped into the saltiest water I have ever been in!! It stung and burned my eyes like nothing else!!
The water was anywhere from three to five feet deep and very warm. I tried to snorkel....but it will take more practice for me. I kept panicking. But I still loved every minute of it!!
I got a water-proof camera for Christmas. I am very glad I did. This is what the ray looked like under the water. I was hesitant at first to put the camera in the water. Forever I have spent my time keeping my cameras dry....but it worked!!
Then I tried something completely out of my comfort zone.....I held (and kissed...almost) a sting ray!!!
It was slimy and soft. But the captain of our boat showed me how to give the ray a belly rub to keep it calm. You know...that way it wouldn't want to harpoon me with it's stinger....
Then he made me turn around so the ray could rub my back...you know....to calm me down. I hope I made it more calm than it made me!
Jim had a blast on the sand bar too. It really was one of our favorite parts of the trip.
I took my pony tail out on the way back to the shore so my hair could dry. I think I looked like I could sing with an 80's Hair Band by the time we got back to the ship!
There were five cruise ships worth of people on that tiny (8 miles by 22 miles) island. It was a little crowded....but still a highlight of the trip.
We turned in shortly after dinner. We were so tired after all the fun we'd had. Our elephant towel animal was cute enough to snuggle. This was such a good day.

2 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh sounds like such a great day. You were so brave with the Stingray. That would scare me to pieces. Great pics. Hugs, Marty

Rochelleht said...

Ha Ha! We got an elephant this year, too. So cute.

I can't believe how brave you were with the ray!! Amazing!! I have snorkeled many times, and I still panic. It's a scary thing for me.

You look SO fabulous in all these pics. How must it be to actually tan on vacation... I had to laugh about your hair. That's how I always feel in Mexico. Wild hair!