Thursday, March 1, 2012

Avoidance

It all started in Idaho. On the last day of my visit, Kim and I stopped at a craft store on our way to the airport. They had some kits made up for the cutest little table runners. It came with the fabric, buttons and instructions. The lady gave me a quick tutorial and I was on my way. Shortly after I got home my fabulous sister chicks from MN came for a visit. Together we sewed up these 15 minute table runners. They really were that easy.
As you know, I do like to do three of a project. It gives me a chance to work out the kinks. Well, this project was so fun to do (combining my love for fabric with my love of an easy project) that I did a few more than three. Thirteen to be exact...The first two and a couple weeks later eleven over two days. Sometimes when my life gets a little chaotic I tend to shift my focus to something that I can control.
A nice fabric project, for example, can be just the distraction one needs. Did it help me finish my daughter's graduation quilt? No. Did it give me any ideas for her graduation party? No. Did it help at all with the plans for my son's wedding? Not in the slightest. Or did it get any planning or list making done for our over-night church activity? Nope. So why did I chose now to obsess over table runners?
Avoidance. Pure and simple. I can't get a handle on any of those other things....but table runners....cake. No worries there. And it kept my mind so busy I didn't have time to think about (or worry about) anything else.
As for a tutorial....I don't have pictures, but I can explain it to you. Take 1/2 yard and 1/3 yard of some pretty fabric. Put the right sides and sew a seam down the long sides of the fabric to form a tube. Turn your tube right side out and will have a long rectangle. Arrange it so there is equal fabric on both sides and press with a hot iron.
Now take it and fold it in half the long way so the dominant fabric (the fabric that is bigger...you know the fabric on the back) is folded together. Sew a seam along the top and the bottom of the runner. Fold it down to a point so it forms a pocket. Press it flat. Then you can add a button to hold it down or some ric rac or even pretty ribbon. The choice is yours.
Here are the 13 first attempts. I am certain there will be more. Most likely during another really busy time in my life.....like next week!!!

8 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How fun are these. Love the design and all of the fabrics. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Teresa said...

Those are so cute!! I do the same thing...what can I do instead of what I should be doing!?!

Connie said...

Whoa!!!! Back this train up. Your son is getting married??? How exciting is that?

Now on to the tablerunners...Love them. You did a great job and I am loving all the fabric choices.
I hate doing the same project over and over but with the changing up of fabrics and embellishments like ric rac I think I could do lots of them too. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

Kim said...

The are nice...the quilters at the Senior Center made them for Christmas and I bought one.

Topper said...

Just caught up on your blog. Almost you makest me want to take a cruise. And the table runners are C-U-T-E!

Topper said...

Just caught up on your blog. Almost you makest me want to take a cruise. And the table runners are C-U-T-E!

Heather said...

Oh my stinkin heck...do you know how much I love you????!!! You ROCK! Your table runners aren't too bad either!!! Love YOU!

Nae said...

You are definitely a sister-in-my-heart, Miss Lori! We roll the same way in so many things. Avoidance is really self preservation and I think you are handling all the events in your life with grace. What could be more healthy and graceful than making beautiful table runners? So many bad choices out there, yet, you choose beauty. I just love you for that!