So I have learned a few things about lawns over the last 30 years or so. More so recently (like in the last 20) but really, I started mowing when I was about 10 and quickly decided I didn't love it. I mowed for my Grandma...I mowed for my Dad. I can't say I got paid....but I can't say I wasn't compensated either...especially by my sweet Grandma. She'd have some cookies or some other treat (mostly home made) ready for me when I was finished but I still wasn't a fan. One thing I learned when I was about 12 is if you could sweet talk one of your friends...who happened to be a boy...into coming over on the day you happened to be mowing, usually, he would end up mowing for you. By the time I was about 14 or 15 I decided that if you finished mowing and had all your fingers and toes...it was a job well done. Well, then I married a guy who actually liked yard work....and knew how to do it....but didn't always have the time for it. So, I was given an education about the "art" of mowing. I hated it. It was a lot of work to do it "right" (princess doesn't like to mow...remember) and so usually I'd pay the neighbor boy (on the sly...thanks Clayton!!) to come mow for me. Finally my kids got old enough to take over this dreaded chore and I was back to princess status. Well...nervy little punks...they've decided to grow up and dare I say it...MOVE OUT!! Of all the nerve. So guess who is back to mowing...Yep...da princess. I suppose I don't HAVE to . No one is holding a gun to my credit cards or anything. But the back yard was getting really deep and it is supposed to rain tomorrow....so....what's a princess to do??
We've Moved!
1 year ago


4 comments:
AH! Poor Princess. I love to mow. I started mowing my parents' apartments and the widows' lawns and I guess I just had to like it. I did it so much. It was either that, or be miserable. Since it's the only exercise I get these days, I kind of count on it...
I am in the princess court with you. I even told hubby that I would help mow if we got a self propelled mower, which didn't work out so well for him (my lack of enthusiasm was evident). Luckily for me I talked hubby into buying a riding lawn mower last year and I haven't even learned how to turn it on let alone mow. At least now I don't get dirty looks from him while I busy myself doing something (anything) else while he mows.
i love how straight and symmetrical it looks! (sooo appealing to even minor OCDs!)
Me? No mow. That is the upside of allergies. Maybe you should get some. hahahaha
Post a Comment