skip to main |
skip to sidebar
My Daughter

This is my baby girl. Today, while driving in the car, I thought about her. I thought about the woman she is and the woman she is becoming. I thought about the road she is on...the really rough road, filled with pot-holes and fiery pits. I thought about what she has learned and what she is still learning. I thought about how hard it has been to sit back and watch her go through these trails. Then I thought about my Mama. How hard it must have been for her to watch me struggle and fall...and eventually pick myself up and stand on my own. And how proud she must have been when I finally had my feet under me. (Mother's Day is coming up, in case you didn't know. I do tend to get a little nostalgic around this time.) But my girl...this woman I am thinking of...my Jo....she amazes me. I don't know if you know this or not but she isn't a huge fan of kids. I know you are thinking, "I wonder where she gets that from". And it is true. She and I have a weird relationship with other people's kids. Not a lot of patience for some...but for others...we can't stay away. Well, Jo, she works at a day care....and LOVES it. She has such a genuine love and patience for these kids. It amazes me. She amazes me. She makes a difference in their lives. She can see their hurt. She can see the kids that don't get the attention at home that she got....that she strained to be released from. She sees now the blessing that it was, to have a Mom that was able and willing to stay home with her and to have a Dad that just wanted so badly to be a part of her life that he drove her crazy. She watches these "day care kids"...you know the type, the kids that spend more time at day care than at home, the kids that long to be held and comforted and will accept that from a stranger as readily as their parent. Her heart breaks for them. She wants them to feel safe and loved, like she did. Isn't that just part of being a kid? So she watches...she gives out hugs when necessary and she also sets appropriate boundaries for them so they learn that she is constant (as constant as anything in their uncertain lives). She loves them and is happy. As I drove in my car today and thought about all these things, I thought my heart would burst. I am so beyond proud of this girl. I am proud that she is so kind and caring....not because I had anything to do with those traits (she inherited them from my Mom), but I am proud because she is who she is. She doesn't let anyone dictate to her how to be. She can be soft and smooshy while being fiercely independent. She is a girl who stands back for a minute and forms her own opinion of a situation before others can sway her to one side or the other. I could go on and on. I am terribly proud of her. Has she made some mistakes? Of course. But she has owned them, paid the penalty bonus and tried to move on. She is learning about grace and love and family while being so far away from home. The distance has allowed her to spread her wings and fly on her own. She is doing such a good job of it too. I won't say that I'm not looking forward to her moving home to start college soon...but now that she knows she can do hard things, there will be no stopping her. I couldn't be more thankful. I have the best kids in the history of ever. My cup runneth over.
5 comments:
That is such a sweet tribute to your daughter. She sounds like she has been taught well, loved enormously and is well on her way to becoming a woman any mother would be proud of. (It certainly has everything to do with having wonderful parents, don't sell yourself short.)
Tears. And I got to hug her and visit with her today. I love her too. She is an amazing soul. Great post!
Awesome post. I wish all those children had a mother like you as well!
Awesome post...she is so beautiful,inside as much as outside. I wish all those children had a mother like you...you are and have always been a wonderful mom!
You need to take more credit for being her Momma! The Lord knew what he was doing when he sent her to you! You have loved her and let her be who she is without trying to change who she is. You are both amazing and I miss you both more then you will ever know!
Post a Comment