Friday, August 22, 2014

An Ice Bucket

The trend on FaceBook and other social media right now is the ALS ice water challenge. The idea started when a man (a football player??) with ALS challenged his friends to donate $$ ($10 for ice bucket bravers and $100 for those who don't want to dump a bucket) to ALS research and to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads in support. It got me thinking about this woman I used to know. She was fierce!!! She loved with her whole heart. She protected those she loved with the bravery of a whole pack of lions. My husband called her grandma. I called her Blanche. She was the sassiest old gal I had ever met. She told my dad (on the day I married her favorite grandchild) that if I did anything to hurt her Jimmy she would kill me. My dad believed her. And so did I. It wasn't very long after I married Jim that Blanche got sick. The diagnosis was grim: ALS. We all watched as this fierce woman that we loved was attacked. Her body betrayed her. I would go over once a week so her husband, Howard, could get in on a game of golf with his buddies. It was so good for me...and for our relationship. I made lunch for us and made sure she took her meds (even when she didn't feel like it). One of her friends made a comment to me once that I'll never forget. She said that when she heard it was me who was taking care of Blanche while Howard was out, she was worried. Not for Blanche, but for me. She was sure Blanche would walk all over me. But she was impressed to see the way I was able to handle the old girl. She thanked me for not treating her like a old sick woman. For being just as sassy as Blanche. High praise. Over the next few months that I was able to do this small act of service, we became friends. Blanche eventually told me that she knew her Jimmy was in good hands. I miss her (though not as much as her daughter and her sweet grandson do). She taught me a lot about living. I am thankful for the memories I have of her. I am thankful to be in a position now to donate money (in her name) to fight the disease that took her from us too soon. If you get a chance look up your local ALS charity and donate to find a cure. 
                        (Here is where I donated http://www.alsintheheartland.org/ )
Most days I am thankful for social media. This is proof that it has it's place in our crazy world. Raising awareness for this disease is something I am grateful for. 


1 comment:

Heather said...

WOW! Beautifully written and makes me wish I knew Blanche! You ROCK!!!