Monday, August 25, 2014

Flora and Fawna

I don't think I told you about the busted bunnies yet. So one bright, beautiful Saturday morning I was sitting on the front porch watching Jim wash our fleet of cars (as per usual). The dogs were out there with us. Nellie was packing around her frisbees and Darla was sniffing around at all the new smells. I was looking at my phone when I heard some chirping. As I looked up (to my horror) the chirping wasn't coming from birds but from Nellie EATING BABY BUNNIES!! She had stumbled upon a nest a dumb Mama bunny had dug under the tree in our front yard. I watched as 3 or 4 little bunnies scampered off to the neighbors yards. I also saw 2 seek shelter in our grass away from the carnage. I yelled at Nellie to "leave it" and "get over here" which (to her credit) she promptly did. I scooped up the 2 in my yard and tried to put them back in the hole. They weren't having it and I can't really blame them. There were 2 injured and 2 dead bunnies already there. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to try to keep them. I think they are yucky. So I had Kevin call the Animal Control in our area. They came and took the 2 dead and 2 injured bunnies. The animal control officer said they were close to leaving the nest and the others would be fine. Good news?? For me, yes. Then I didn't have to worry about finding little dead bunnies littering my yard....again. Dang dog. 
These are my Mom's favorite flowers. They are growing in the yard of my dear friend Renae. She is a grower. She grows the most beautiful flowers. She comes from a long line of growers. Her yard is filled with flowers that have come from the yards of her Grandmothers and other growers like her. I love her yard. I love that she sends me flowers like this to brighten my day.
I got to sit and visit with my friends here on Renae's back porch. I was so at peace sitting there with Heather and Renae. I cannot put into words the healing power these women have on my soul. I am so blessed.
The leaves are starting to change here. I have never lived anywhere that has such a long Autumn. It is so beautiful. I am thankful for the lovely Springs and Falls here. Makes the hot, humid summer bearable. The leaves in my yard are about 3 weeks behind the trees on 90th St. I will get to enjoy many more weeks of beautiful colors before the snow flies. I love living in Omaha.
On our way home from picking up Theresia and her things (and moving her here with us) we passed this field of sunflowers. When we lived in MN and drove 45 minutes to church we would drive by fields of these beauties. I loved seeing all their bright faces turned to follow the sun. I think if I was a flower I'd be a sunflower...or a daisy. I love flowers.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love flowers, I love this post and I LOVE YOU!!!