Yes, I did just sing that. The sun is shining the birds are singing and the wind is calm. I jumpped right out of bed at the crack of 8:30 and threw on my walking shoes and headed out the door. Jim and I like to walk to a lake in our town where the ducks and geese hang out. If Jim is with me it takes about an hour round trip. When I'm alone it takes more like 90 minutes. I love to stop and watch the baby turtles, geese and ducks. I am fascinated by them. The things they need to learn to survive is amazing. We were watching the ducks last week when they were really small. The Momma duck was swimming along and the babies were everywhere. I was slightly paniced. I looked around to find some help for her and noticed the goslings were swimming after their Mom in a single file line and were definately looked after. While I was ranting about the dang Mother duck letting her charges become so unruly Jim pointed out something very important. The Daddy goose was following right after the orderly line of gosslings. Momma duck was on her own. Daddy duck was on the bank snoozing. Hhhmmm, I thought. That does seem to make sense. How many times have I said "just you wait until your Dad gets home" (probably not as many times as I've thought it). The geese seem to have the right idea when it comes to tending babies. They even have gosling daycare. I tell you these birds are worth watching. So for the short time that the sun is out today, you will find me at the lake or parked outside in a chair. It's too nice to be inside.
We've Moved!
1 year ago

4 comments:
One of my children's favorite place to hang out! If you are on your way home around 9:30, you should see me panting after my children on our bikes on our way to the middle school!
My mom loves living so close to there so she can see all the wildlife activity. It's pretty darn neat I must say.
A friend and I noticed the difference in mothering styles between the ducks and geese many years ago. At the time I was a goose and she was a duck and we laughed about it. Now that my girls are growing I am now more of a duck. I love watching the critters at the lake. Fun Stuff and a beautiful day!!!
I haven't seen any ducks since I left Minnesota. I see lots of lizards and once in a while a coyote on my walks....I miss the MN wildlife and walking at the lakes....but I don't miss those big scary geese things that spit!!!! I'll take a wild javelina over those ANY day.
Post a Comment