Sunday, March 21, 2010

From Rust to Red

In preparation for the sale of our house...the Hubby and I have been working on a few projects to spruce the place up. One thing that has been on the list for a while is the sun room. I love the windows and during the spring, this really is my favorite room in my house. The paint color in here was a rusty orange color. While not the most hideous color I've ever seen....it was by no means my favorite. I was in Home Depot the other day with paint on the brain. I was prepared for a good solid 30 minutes or so perusing through the color samples trying to make up my mind. When I passed the area where they keep the "Oops!" for $5 cans of paint....I stopped dead in my tracks. There was a can of red (with a slight orange undertone) paint....FOR $5!!! Those of you who know me...know this is how I roll. Red is one of my favorite colors to use on the wall. I scooped it up and headed home.


Here is a "during" shot. My before photos are rare. I just just so excited to get started that things (like photos) get forgotten.
Usually Hubs is out of town when I paint. He hates it. He whines about the mess and is generally unhelpful.....until this time.
He did all the taping and started the first coat with the roller. Shocking!
I did chuckle a little when he complimented me on the lovely shade of green!! HAHAHA Don't try to adjust your monitor. It will only look green to those of you who are color blind. Yeah...I don't ever let Hubs pick out paint colors. He is barely allowed to dress himself!!
So the red is finished and the room is put back together. I like the room a lot and hope that any and all prospective buyers will like it as well.
Do you like the red?? Red works best with rooms that have a plethora of windows.
And here is where I am sitting right now. When the sun comes up in the morning this is where I can be found...praying for sunshine and enjoying any rays that break through the Minnesota winter....yes...I dare not call this spring. Last year we had 2 snow days home from school in April.
I will be linking this to Metamorphosis Monday. The creative people that link to this party are so inspiring. Check them out!!

15 comments:

Kammy said...

I love the rich color !
Kammy

Low Tide High Style said...

It looks wonderful and how great that you got your paint at such a good price! I'm sure prospective buyers will love it too!

Kat :)

Allison Shops said...

It's a great color. Good job on that $5 find! My DH is also colorblind. Ask the kids about the "green" truck he came home with many moons ago (now, gone, thank goodness!) It was turquoise! Maybe the color for 2010, but not something that belongs on a Ford! lol

Be sure to drop by AtticMag and see what Jane posted for Met Monday.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your new red color is gorgeous. Pretty shade of red. The green comment just cracked me up. lol Hugs, Marty

Shannon said...

The red looks great. I love those cans at Home Depot, I feel like the people there get annoyed of me asking to see them all the time. I haven't found one yet that I can use, but every time I am in I ask to see what they have. :-)

Susan said...

I love the Red!! But the chocolate was pretty as well!

Gloria said...

Love the red! And good luck with selling your house... I think if you pray to St. Joseph, he is the Saint who helps one sell a home!
Best regards,
Gloria

Sherri said...

Love the new color! Makes the trim pop in the room.

Renee said...

I think it looks great, and I have to say I LOVE the totem pole.

Charlene said...

I do like the red in that room!!! It looks so welcoming!!

Nae said...

Much improved! You are quick with your projects too. I'd hate to get in your way when you have a brush or roller!!

chris said...

I love it! I myself have a red kitchen. People thought I was crazy... but it rocks.. plus I love it and so does my husband. I got mine from Dunn Edwards and its called Arabian Red... gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing.

Rochelleht said...

That is a great color red!!

the mom~ said...

LOVE the color and thanks for the idea of stopping by the oops section next time I am there!!!

msorensen said...

you are very clever, my little Martha Stewart!! Come help me with my house!!