I have a friend. In the grand scheme of things...we haven't known each other very long. But she is always there at just the moment I need her. It's like she can read my thoughts...from miles away. Once on my Mom's birthday (she didn't realize it was a tough day for me) she invited me out for lunch. She said she just felt like I might need a minute out of the house. When I told her what day it was...she was thankful (as I was) that she followed the small prompting she'd received that morning. On Mother's Day she showed up to my house with a huge basket of Gerbera Daisies. They are a favorite of my sweet Mom and I love them as well. She knew (without being told) that I struggle on Mother's Day and was prompted (yet again) to show me she was thinking about me. She does these things all the time. I will admit to being terrible at asking for help. I tend to suffer in silence. I withdraw into my safety zone and camp there until I feel well enough to come out again. This woman has the ability to see into that hidey-hole and send me some sunshine. Just this morning I was feeling lonesome and scared (about my upcoming race). I feel totally unprepared and was contemplating giving up....when I received a most welcome text message. It was a simple message telling me how much she loves me and thinks of me often. I wrote back and told her briefly of my fears for the race. She gently reminded me that all I could do is my best and that my Mom will be there with me no matter how fast or slow I run. Through my tears I thanked God for this woman who always knows what to say to make me face my unrealistic expectations and get real. She is amazing. I hope everyone who reads this blog has someone in their life who helps them get real. I hope all of you follow those little promptings (no matter how small they seem) and send some sunshine to those you love. It may just be that life preserver that will pull them out of the sea of doubt....or loneliness....or whatever demons are pulling them down. I thank my friend. I love her. I have been blessed with the most amazing (selfless) friends. I do believe that one of the biggest blessings of moving 1100 miles away from everyone that I knew and loved was finding new sisters to add to my life. Thanks for the rope...the waters are calming and I can see the shore.
6 comments:
I am so thankful you have such a great friend! I love that she "gets" you! What a wonderful blessing indeed! LOVE YOU HH!
You inspire me Lori. That is the kind of friend I want to be! I'm gonna work on it a little harder :)
Good luck on your race. Thanks again for the visit and lunch. It was so good to be in your home!
I too am thankful for friends like that in my life. Good luck with your race! GO LORI!
Good luck on your race! And a thanks to your friend for being your life saver during times of need.
So glad you have that! I did miss you Friday and we talked about you. There weren't many people who were there, honestly. I went out of obligation to one in particular. Plus, I wanted to see Lynn Applegate and I knew she'd be there. I actually ran into FOUR people this summer that we graduated with. Including someone the day of the reunion (he didn't go). Kendra Young, Tiffany Birch, Michelle Atkinson and Christian Roberts. Wild, huh?
YOU melt my heart! <3 <3 <3 YOU! I have always felt you are a kindred spirit from the first time we met. Thank you for your very kind words {sniff, tears running down cheeks}.
Post a Comment