Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kitchen Re-Do

First of all, I am just going to apologize for the amount of pictures in this post. I will be covering a 3 month time span.....so there are a ton of photos. This is my kitchen about 2 months after we moved in. Note the white cabinets....white counter tops and the mostly white appliances. If you know me at all, you know that white and I don't always see eye to eye.
Really, the kitchen is fine.....adequate. But when Hubby and I decided to by this house we wanted to be able to customize it a bit. So fine....well, it just won't do.
First thing we did was change out the counter tops. We chose Quartz (in a lovely Brazilian Brown).....sort of a man made stone. It is durable and has the same likable qualities as granite.....but it never needs sealed. Bonus!
A weird view that I never see.....an island without a top. Strange.
So here is the first look at the new counter tops. Lovely.
Only one thing missing......a back splash......And I was so not sure which direction to go with tile. I got help from 2 amazing women here in Omaha. We took a morning and hit the tile stores. We changed our direction of thought several times. Dark big tiles.....dark small tiles....accent tiles....and finally.....
A tile that has white (to pull in the cabinets) and darker tones.....and an accent tile to pull in the counter tops AND the cabinets! Score!
Even before it was grouted I was in love.
Here it is grouted....almost finished. Love love love!
Just waiting for the grout to dry to put the outlet covers back on.
A little more love.....
I like the way he trimmed out the window. It looks really good.
And....TA DA!!! It looks so much better.
My next project will be to sand down the floors and stain them darker......I can hardly wait!
You do know that my kitchen NEVER looks like this.....right?
I am also going to be changing out the light fixture above the sink. So not a fan of the exposed can....
But for now it is finished. As finished as any room in any house ever is.....
Oh...and eventually the oven and microwave need to be changed out. But how do you justify new appliances when the existing ones are just fine? Someday!
If you are in the Omaha area I highly recommend Duncan Tile. Tom did a great job and was reasonably priced and very friendly.

Met Monday is where you'll find me today! Jump on over and check it out!

8 comments:

Connie said...

That turned out beautiful. I'll bet that makes you want to cook ALL the time. Very classy.

the mom~ said...

VERY NICE! I love it!

Teresa said...

Very nice. I know I have told you this before, but our kitchen kills me. Having custom made cabinets in Utah to the crap we have here...oh well, someday. LOVE the counter tops!! Oh, and a suggestion if you don't love the white, you could always do a brown or black wash on top of it to give it more POP.

Kim said...

Love, Love, LOVE IT! It turned out so awesome! Hey guess what T- 4.5 hours till you are on yo way!

Rochelleht said...

LOVE it! It looks amazing. That back splash is the bomb!

Anonymous said...

It's a very elegant look. Good job!

Nae said...

WOW! Such a dramatic difference. I don't know what I like best, the tile or the countertop. They totally transformed your kitchen. Great job! It makes me even more excited about the upcoming changes for us in the next month. I can only hope it turns out as good as yours!

Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont said...

I love your new counters and backsplash! Those items have both been on our to-do list forever! Well done :)