Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's Time

So this year I had decided to wait to put up my Christmas stuff until the neighbors around me had theirs up. I didn't want to deal with the comments....these folks don't know of my love, nay...the passion I feel for Christmas. They don't know the years my Mom spent cultivating this obsession with all things Christmas (that only intensified upon her passing). I am still finding my way in this new place and i didn't want the constant reminder that I just don't fit (yet). And then my mood crashed. We are talking epic melt down here. My sweet daughter and her friends (that happened to be visiting from Minnesota) decided to help cheer me up. I came home from church to find the tree up and the boxes containing all things Christmas stacked in the living room....waiting. We found the lights and the kids put them on the tree and then we sat back to take it all in. Sweet. I did feel a bit better having the familiar sight of my old Christmas tree hogging up precious space on display for all to see. Then I dug into the boxes to find the rest of my favorite things. No hiding it now.....all the neighbors will know....yes, I am crazy.
It lights up and everything!!! It is great at night!
Ah, snowman......how I heart thee......
I did decide to down-size a few of my collections. Since we got rid of some of our furniture for the move I am short a few places to display my obsession lovelies.
This set is probably my favorite. It is identical to the one that has been displayed at my Mom's house since I was little.
I did discover that I am missing a box that has a couple of my Nativity sets. I'm not very happy about that.....but I would be devastated if this one was lost. My Mom made it at a church craft Super Saturday when I was about 10. I loved it then and I am over-the-moon for it now. There is just something about those things that my Mom loved.....it makes her seem close.
Here is my tree. After the Season of Joy is over and the Christmas trees go on clearance, I will be looking for a tall skinny one for next year. This one is just too massive.
A few of my favorite ornaments......
Loving those Ruby Slippers.....there is no place like home.....
From my Mom......on our last Christmas together.
The traditional Christmas Spider. What....? You don't have a traditional Christmas Spider?
Of course my tree has a few of this particular gal. Cinderlori likes Cinderella.
My babies.....when they were actually babies. The time....were did it go?
I just thought you'd all like to see what I will be looking at for the next couple of months. I am happy to have it up and I guess the neighbors will just have to deal.

I have been working on some other projects too. I promise to get busy and show you all very soon!

8 comments:

Lott's of Love said...

Good for you Lori! Let the neighbors talk - It's never too early to get in the spirit of the Season. And what an awesome daughter you have to know just what you needed to make your day!

Rochelleht said...

I love it! I'm tempted to put mine up, to, but I think we'll be hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I'll wait a bit. I do have my cards ready, so you see, I'm almost as freaky as you!

Heather said...

Our tree and lights are going up this weekend. I too love that daughter of yours and the fact that she always knows just what you need! I can feel your pain and relate to your meltdown. Holding it all in just SUCKS!!!

Teresa said...

Yeah for Christmas stuff! I have always tried to hold off until after Thanksgiving. But, last year I was a bit annoyed. By the time we got back from being home for Thanksgiving and got it up, we had it up for 2-3 weeks before we left to go back home. So, today the girls are going to clean up (ha ha ha) and when they do (maybe before Christmas) we will get our stuff out and up....hopefully this weekend! Yeah for Christmas! Can you believe that it is really (almost) here!?!

Kim said...

YIPPEEEE!! I love my Jo! I can't wait for you to get here so we can put up Mom's tree! Love and hugs to you!!! SEE YOU SOON!!!!

the mom~ said...

Woohoo! It looks beautiful!

Kim said...

How sweet of Jo! And who cares what others think.....we are beyond that. Enjoy the season!

Nae said...

It warms my heart to know that you are getting your Christmas on and carrying on a beautiful tradition which started with your mom. {HUGS}