Sunday, January 23, 2011

One Good Turn

I'm no fan of winter. I don't like to be cold, I hate how early it gets dark and I loathe shoveling snow. When we lived in Idaho, I thought I had lived through some pretty tough winters. However, I was shown my ignorance of true winter weather when we moved to Minnesota. The natives (my friends) warned me of the severity of it all.....the huge amounts of snow....the brutal cold. It was worse than I could have even imagined. Never before have I been so cold and buried under mountains of snow. So when we moved to Nebraska, I wasn't expecting tropical weather, but I knew it would be warmed than MN. And it has been....but there is still that issue of snow. Ish and ick. Of course we don't get nearly as much as MN or even ID but really....any is too much. So when I awoke to this....let's just say I was not a happy camper. For big, heavy snows Hubby is usually the guy in charge of snow removal. But on this date DH was unavailable for snow blower-driver duties. So that left me (sick with a nice head/sinus cold....thing) and beautiful Daughter to man the shovels (since I can't really run the snow blower). So not happy about that. Our driveway was completely drifted over and I couldn't even see the sidewalks. This was going to take all day. But...it had to be done....so I resigned myself to the fact of it and....decided to wait a while for it to warm up a bit.
Then I heard the neighbor using his snow blower and entertained notions of asking him to start my big red snow moving machine for me to save my already aching body. But then I heard the whine of a (decidedly smaller {well smaller than mine}) snow blower coming up my driveway. Crazy delusions....and wishful thinking...I was convinced, but I looked out the window anyway.
Sure enough. There was our neighbor with his green snow blower attacking the snow that so brutally covered my driveway and squelched my joy for life.
I was so happy and so thankful, I wanted to cry. Seriously.....I was giddy at the idea of spending the day in my jammies, eating chicken soup, trying to convalesce....and not shoveling.
And then...just when I think he is finished and going to leave a small bit of shovel work for me (which I was totally fine with)....he swipes the shovel off my porch and finishes the porch, steps and the places his snow blower couldn't get to.
Amazing. To say I wanted to run out and hug this man and his magic green machine is an understatement. I immediately went to my kitchen and baked some yummy rolls for him and his family. I took them over to them while they were still hot. He looked at me as if I was crazy. "You really don't have to give us anything, Jim plows and shovels for us all the time." Oh....well...I guess it just really means SO much more to me today....it just seemed bigger today. It was really appreciated and felt like a life line of sorts.
I feel very blessed today to have such a great neighbor who would do such a huge thing for me and really think it was nothing. Amazing.
On a side note a big van load of people from our church stopped by also....but since our driveway was done they worked on the neighbors sidewalks. These snow angels are everywhere today.....and God bless them....every one!

4 comments:

the mom~ said...

I LOVE hearing stories like this, there is some good left in mankind and it warms my heart to see it!

Kathleen said...

wow! lucky you. our neighbors, as sweet as they are, must be a bit more thick-headed b/c i was 9 mo. pregnant last year and cubby was out there every night, shoveling after work, in the dark. and on christmas? yup, he was out there for 2 hours b/4 my mom, brother and sister (who had dug themselves out) came over to help. 2 of our neighbors have snow blowers, one has 2 teenage boys. (and we've shoveled for them each while they've been out of town!) okay, enough venting :-). i can laugh about it...now.

this year, no preggers to i can shovel. thankfully, there hasn't been as much snow this year as last year :-). ha!

Rochelleht said...

Ah! That's so cool!!! If I had snow, I'd want those kind of neighbors. But since I don't...

Connie said...

Brrrrrr! So jealous. I want some snow (and some very kind people to shovel the sidewalks).