Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Start

I don't usually decorate for Valentine's Day. I find it offensive (the day in general...and decorating for it).....or I used to. Call it sour grapes or whatever.....it just didn't happen. But ever since Mom went and passed away on Valentine's Day 2008....I have been needing something to lift my spirits every February. I do like pretty things. No joke....I am drawn to pretty, lacey, frilly or just plain good-looking stuff. And I can also see the potential in the truly ugly. Take these shiny orange/gold candle holders. I picked them up at Target for 75% off. Not bad....made 'em less than 3 bucks.
A little spray paint later.....(Yes! In January....spray paint!!)
A much needed improvement. But not quite ready for the Valentine's Day grouping I am envisioning.
Red candles are a start. But still not a winner.....
Ah...ribbon. I do like the frilly touch of ribbon. Now they are ready for me to get together the other projects I am in the middle of and bring a little pretty into February.
I have linked to a party at This and That....I do hope you will follow me there and and look at the great projects!!

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

very pretty! you have such vision--i would've never thought of doing anything like that!

Grandma Rozla said...

Oh I like it. I need you to show me the finer art of spray paint. I have some things I bought on clearance at Ben Franklin. I want to spray paint them but the last time I tried to spray paint something it ran and looked awful :) Guess I need to just keep trying. You inspire me :)

Connie said...

Oh ya, those were just screaming for a makeover and you delivered.

Sorry to hear about your mom passing away, it must be hard to face February's now.

Kim said...

Man shrub, I saw those orange things and thought WOW that's awful! HAHAHA you deliverd and transformed them! I love it! UGH why is February coming AGAIN!?!?!? You rockth much!! LOVE YA!

Tragic Sensation said...

So bizarre I happened onto this Lori! I have had the ugliest glazed candle holders since about Thanksgiving that I got at HomeGoods....they are hideous, like so gross. I want them all white, but was afraid to spray them because they are glazed. I was at a pottery shop today and they were trying to get me to use model enamel.....hmm......these turned out divine. I'm gonna try it. LOVE!

Nae said...

You are a wizard with a spray can! Good for you for bringing back more hearts in February. Your mamma is smilin', I know it!

Rochelleht said...

Gorgeous! As always.