Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mother's Day Flowers

I love flowers. I love their bright colors and fresh scent (some of them don't smell so good I have discovered). Cut flowers in a vase make me a little sad though. They die. Then I feel guilty for throwing them out. And they aren't cheap.
Like a lot of the country, our spring was slow getting started. It worked out well though. My tree flowered for Mother's Day. Not my favorite of days...even before my Mom passed. I had a really good Mother's Day last year. We had Jo's high school graduation to attend and it was an amazing day. This year, neither of my kids were home. Big bummer day.
Normally I am a glass is half full kind of gal. So I focused on all the positives in my life and just opened myself to all the feelings that came that day. Lots of good feelings; gratitude, love, appreciation. Some not fun emotions crept in as well. I let them stay as long as they needed to be there, and then tried to focus on the happy again.
My life is full of happy. My sweet husband who loves me for who I am. My amazing kids. I am honored to be their Mama. This new grandson of mine. (Michael was born yesterday, pictures to come). A plethora of friends. I am so truly blessed.
So, it came and it went...that Hallmark holiday known as Mother's Day. We should be thankful for and appreciate all that our Mother's do and have done for us every day. But since we can only buy cards once a year....but I digress. Happy is what we need to focus on. Terrible things are happening in our world right now. We all need to take a minute every day and focus on the happy.
If not now, when?

2 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Congratulations grandma!!!!!! That is beyond exciting. Can't wait to see.

Connie said...

You have some of the same sentiments as I do about Mother's day. I have never been very fond of all the forced appreciation. Words of thanks and kindness shown throughout the rest of the year are way more appreciated.

You blossoming tree is so pretty and that is a great picture of your hubby smelling it too.

Can't wait to see more pictures of that sweet grandbaby of yours.