Monday, January 19, 2015

Belize Days 4&5

 Our last day in Belize was spent relaxing. We lounged by the pool and the ocean all morning. We planned on going into town later but there was no rush to be anywhere today. It was so very nice. 
 "Larry the Pool Guy" gave me a flower as I sat in the sun. Of course I was mocked for taking a selfie. The others had me to be their photographer. Who did I have?? Me, I suppose.
 These caught my eye because I thought they had been spray painted. Nope. They're legit.
 The boys had "Larry the Pool Guy" Cut a couple coconuts open for us. Of course we have to have some fun first.
 These are the soft coconuts. After you drink the coconut water from them there is a thin layer (membrane...blekkkk!!) that you scrape out and eat. It was soft and slightly sweet. The texture was kind of like jello that has been in the fridge too long. Not a huge fan.

 We would get fresh flowers on our bed every day. One of the perks of paradise.
 While cruising around we saw this blue crab out for a stroll on the dock.
 A bit later we cleaned up and went into town. Of course my picture taking skills need some work. I didn't get any of the hustle and bustle of too many golf carts and people on the narrow streets. But I did get one of this portrait that Ilise doesn't remember sitting for. It was a little creepy.
 At about 4:00 we decided to get an early dinner. Not possible. Dinner (at the earliest place we found) is at 5:00. We went to the spot we really wanted to eat, Blue Mango...not serving until 6:00. We went to the second on our list, El Fogon, and had a smoothie (mine was a limeade!!). We decided their menu didn't look super enticing so we went to the third recommendation, Elvi's Kitchen. It smelled wonderful. We were seated and had our order in right at 5:00. The sand floor was interesting. Pretty sure this is where I got all the bug bites!! Not a fan of that for sure!!
 Mexican steak with Mayan seasonings, a baked potato with chipotle butter, okra and all the fixings was my dinner. The flavors were wonderful. I loved all of it!!
 Ilise ordered the Creole (the special of the night). Jim and Robert wished they had ordered this as well. Conk, shrimp, oyster and clam with a crab claw thrown in for good measure. She said it was wonderful. I decided to take her word for it. It was very pretty to look at. After dinner we went back to the resort and swam and sat in the hot tub. We drank pina colada's and talked about how great the trip had been. We had to leave in the morning. None of us was ready.
 My last breakfast at Coco Beach was by far the best. The pineapple and watermelon were sweet and had the best texture. The yogurt and homemade granola were the best I've had. Seriously...I'd have had this every day if I had known!!
 Of course I got zero pictures of us on the way home. We were so chill and relaxed. We didn't start getting tensed up until we were about to board the flight in Huston. Our vacation was over and we were a little sad. It took me a solid week to get back in the swing of things in real life. Of course I missed the kids and especially Michael. Darla had just had surgery to have some tumors removed so there was that to deal with. But I missed the warm breeze and the beautiful sunshine. We will travel with the Walker's again. We always have amazing adventures with them. Thanks for the memories!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm telling you we need to retire in Belize! The slow pace of life there is awesome! I am so glad you loved it!