Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cake Pops, Laughter and Tears

So it is Valentines Day again. It's been 2 years since my Mom died. It's been the toughest 2 years of my life a rough 2 years. Along the way there have been people placed in my life that have made my path easier. They have lifted me up and carried me when I couldn't do it myself. Two of the most fabulous are these women, Heather and Renae. Because they knew this whole weekend would be rough for me they decided we should make something yummy together. Up until Saturday it sounded like a good idea. I was feeling pretty good....and then Saturday hit. I tried to keep it in. I tried to hide it from Jim and Jo. No good....they found me in my bed having a good cry. I didn't think I could go to Renae's house. Not with puffy eyes and a broken heart. I couldn't have been more wrong. That is just where I needed to be.
We decided quite a few weeks ago that we would make Cake Pops. We saw that Bakerella had done some stinking ca-ute ones and though we could give it a whirl. It looked pretty simple. Mix, shape and dip.....right??? Sure....let me just clue you in on some of the things we learned.
Crumbling the cake was easy....good start. The color of the cake was pink and sweet but when it was crumbled in the bowl it started to look a bit fleshy. We added the entire tub of cream cheese frosting as per the instructions. Learn #1....don't add all of the frosting right away. It was way to sticky and mushy. Start with 3/4's of the tub and go from there.
Then we rolled them into balls. Learn #2 the bigger the ball the heavier it will be....and thus mayhem could ensue.
Renae took the flower cookie cutter (as directed) and smooshed the ball in and muffined out the top....and gave it a nice flat bottom. and then we discussed the benefits of not having a flat bottom
It took a lot of cooking spray to keep the fleshy, flat bottomed, muffin topped ball from sticking to the cookie cutter.
Success!! Not bad looking, if you ask me.
Now for the dipping....In order to have optimum results you need to remember learn #3...get your candy melts really warm. The warmer it is the runnier it becomes and that much easier to dip said gooey flat bottomed smooshed out balls into. Learn #4....ALWAYS put the stick in while the chocolate (or what ever flavor candy melt you use) is warm and not set up. Trust me.
We warmed the pink candy melts until they were melted and pretty dang runny. Then spooned the pretty pinkness over the top of our cupcake cake pop.
Then added the sprinkles and a red hot for the cherry on top.
So cute!!!! I am loving the way they look!!
Wait a minute! Huston, we have a problem. Yeah...remember the weight issue, well that coupled with the fact that we didn't put the sticks in the first batch before the candy had hardened made this little private dancer slide down her pole like.....oh...yeah...so learn #5 laugh. When all else fails laugh. And we did. We laughed until our eyes leaked and our noses ran. Renae's 12 year old daughter came in and looked at us all about to collapse with the hilarity of the moment and was too stunned to even speak.
The first batch. Not so much cake pops as candy covered mini squishy centered cupcakes.
Batch 2....beautiful cake pops on wiggly sticks. We are funny girls for sure!
Beautiful and sweet....just like us!!
They don't look quite so perfect but that really wasn't the point. The point was to try something new and spend time together. And we accomplished both....beautifully.
So now that Valentine's Day is upon us....my cup has been filled and I have some light and love in reserve to face the day with a smile. Now I can use today to remember the wonderful memories I have of my Mom....all of the fun trips we took and the quite moments we had just enjoying each others company. To my girlfriends...I love you. Thanks for knowing just what I needed.
I will be putting links to their blogs as soon as they get time to post their take on the day.

I am also linking with Met Monday. I think a good cake metamorphosis is just what they need!

17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a precious post of sweet friends and just plain good fun. Laughter and friends are always the best medecine. I love the pops too, but that was the least of the day. Hugs, Marty

Nae said...

{{hugs}} I don't know how I could describe the day better than you! So grateful you ventured over and allowed us to share in your memories, your sadness and laughter. You lift me up and teach me so many lessons including honoring & nurturing my precious relationships. Love you much, sista!

Kim said...

They are beautiful and sweet...just like you three. Thanks to your friends for making good memories with you during tough times.

Anonymous said...

How fun that looks! Lucky you to have such loving, caring and fun girlfriends. (((hugs)))

The pops look yummy too- glad to have some hints since we havent tried them yet at our house. We've done cake balls, which I guess is the same thing without the stick. Yum, yum.

Heather said...

Yep. In the end Bakerella wasn't such a dummyhead after all! Cakepop therapy just happened to be the exact right "fix" for the moment. And I love how you posted Kips pic of me and not you!!!

Allie and Pattie said...

Lucky you to have friends like those! And the pops are adorable!
xoxo Pattie

Low Tide High Style said...

Your cake pops look awesome and I'm sure your mom was looking down and giggling right along with you and your wonderful friends!

Kat :)

Danielle Strong said...

very cute :)

Joanne Kennedy said...

There is nothing like friends! They seem to have a way to make everything a bit better.

I think your pops came out cute! You made me want to try them.

Hugs,
Joanne

Jodi Goodwin said...

They look good! Yay for friends. My Grandpa said, "You can never have too many friends."

Sandy said...

Thank your for this post. My daughter was just asking how to make these so I am sending it on to her!! Love your blog!

Six in One Hand said...

I am laughing so hard.... I know exactly the kind of issues you were having with those cake pops...trust me.

(hugs)

Chrys said...

sounds like a great "Girl's Day". You just can't plan that kind of quirky fun. they look too cute to eat.....

Kim said...

I love you my sister! I can't tell you how much easier the day was knowing you had good friends taking care of you! I wish I could have been there to laugh until we cried! LOVE YOU TONS!

Rochelleht said...

SO glad you have sweet friends to take care of you. Those pops are amazing! I've eaten them before, but never made them. Pretty sure now I won't.

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

They look adorable and so do you and your girls! I lost my mom 5 years ago-how wonderful that your friends knew to make some time to be with you.
~Nancy

Lia at Petite Little Bee said...

Your cake pops look super beautiful and deleicous! Thanks for sharing. Lia