I was cruising through Good Will the other day (my work schedule is putting a cramp in my crafting!). I didn't find much of anything...until I was heading for the door. I glanced to a small display on top of a rack of rather unfortunate looking sweaters. I knew just what to do with these!! I have used big chunks of wood to put photos on...but these can hang on the wall and have the hardware already attached.
So I dug out the spray paint, of course. Since it is winter here in the arctic, getting any spray painting done is simply impossible hard to do, so I've had to be creative. I have a cement floor in the storage/utility room in the basement...so since it's cement....no harm getting a little over spray on it.
Next, the tools...Mod Podge (of course), scrapbook paper, paper cutter, ruler, pencil and credit card (or library card or Zune gift card). I measured and cut the paper and adhered it to the boards with the Mod Podge, using the Zune gift card to flatten out any bubbles.
I just love the look of the black and white. Classy. Then I took the photos I snapped of my baby and her man as they were headed out to the Snow Ball...{((sniff)) my baby is growing up!!} I Mod Podged them to the paper with a thin coat of the sticky stuff and waited for it to dry.
And waited, and waited....I love this little memento of her first fancy dance. I never went to a dance in high school with the boys I really wanted to go with. I always settled for second best. Not my girl...she found a prince...no toads for her!
After it had dried I put a couple light layers of Mod Podge on the top. I made one for my girl and one for Prince Charming.
So this project was a true metamorphosis. From someone's junk to a nice keepsake for my girl and her date. Not too shabby. I am linking to Met Monday. I hope you will go there to find some inspiration and ideas for your next project.
We've Moved!
1 year ago

21 comments:
Cute idea - I love the shots of the b/w tennis shoes.
I'd love for you to stop by AtticMag this week and take a tour of my home.
Allison
Turned out great. Don't you just love pairing up scrapbook paper with wood and pictures And Goodwill is a great resource for such things as the wood plaque you picked up.
Very Cute! Great new uses for the wood plaques.
What a great idea! I love the picture with the tennis shoes! It looks like your daughter had a great time at the dance and what a great way to display those special memories!
Kat :)
I'm sure Jo will keep those forever. Darling, Lori.
Nice work!! The black and white color combo is FAB!!
Thank you for sharing over at Met Monday!
Very cool. You should post a tutorial - I'm pretty sure my Mom wants me to do this with a picture she gave me. I don't get it. You're making it look good. :)
I really like, what a great thing for her and Reid to both have!
Well done! I see crummy plaques at GW all the time and have never been able to think of anything clever to do with them : )
Love the black and white print! That is such a cute idea!
Great idea! I see those plaques at thrift stores all the time and usually take them literally.
Like, why would anyone want an torn footprints plaque?
But now, I see why!
Amazing!
Very cute! Did Prince Charming like it??
The black/white paper is super chic! Thumbs up on this repurposed project!
I may have to attempt a copy of this......I adored this project....you go Lori Stuart....I mean Martha Reader.....LOL I love ya Lori!!!!! Hope our school decides dances aren't evil....LOL
They turned out beautiful. Great minds think alike. Today at Hobby Lobby I bought two plaques and scrapbook paper to do the same thing.
Nice! Being so not crafty...I think I could do this!
Great idea! You just made the list of things to look for when I thrift grow :)
Awesome idea. Can't wait to try it.
- The Tablescaper
This is soooo stinkin cute...luv the black and white! Come by and check out my THRIFTY party and GIVEAWAY...I think you might like it:)
Blessings,
Linda
So sweet and you really are a whiz with the spray paint and modge podge...you have skillz!!!
You rock.
Post a Comment