Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sunny Arizona

We took a really quick trip down to Arizona to visit Jim's parents. I LOVE ARIZONA IN JANUARY!! That is really all I could say....seriously....for 2 straight days. If you have ever spent an extended amount of time in Minnesota in the winter then I feel sorry for you then you know what I mean when I say....the sun does not shine for 4 months. Really, I promise....it is very depressing. For those of you "lucky" souls in Minnesota...this is what a sunrise looks like.
Of course I know you all have seen a sunrise. I just happen to know that you didn't see it in the winter. One, because it is too freakin' cold at that time of the day to be outside and two, it is so cloudy most of the time that you can't see the sun until half passed noon.

On to less depressing (and cold) topics....this little (green) gem is what the center of a Queen's Palm looks like. There were bees on some of them. I love winter in Arizona.
We went to see the Casa Grande ruins. It was fun to see a little piece of history.
Jo and Steph seemed to be having a good time. Oh wait, they have a good time where ever they go.
I do love taking them places. Their giggling can be heard 100 yards away.
Inside the little visitors center there were a few exhibits that were hands-on....right up their alley.
Our fabulous hosts. They were kind enough to put us up in their new house and let us swim in their heated (OUTDOOR) pool....(IN JANUARY!!) and fed us and kept us entertained. We had SUCH a good time!
Ocotillo...I just love the texture....and the word Ocotillo....fun to say.
Saguaro cactus...an old one, for sure. Did you know one of these babies can take up to 75 years to grow a side arm? It's true.
Prickly Pear cactus or Opuntia is edible....well....parts of it are.
Twins, Jim and Doug, hung out by the pool A LOT. Oh wait...we all did!! ARIZONA IN THE WINTER!!!
And speaking of "by the pool"....here I am, soaking up some much needed sun. I think we were a little "sun drunk". It's true. We were almost giddy sitting there IN JANUARY soaking up all that natural vitamin D. Pure joy!!
We had such a great time visiting with Jim's folks. We are so happy they love their new home and we can continue to visit in the winter. Next time instead of a couple of days...we might try for a week!!!

7 comments:

Nae said...

Your pics of the cactus are so gorgeous! Looks like an amazing trip and thanks for the reminder of what the sunrise actually looks like... I totally had forgotten. :-)

the mom~ said...

Oh, so happy for you! I could use some natural Vit D right about NOW!!!

Jodi Goodwin said...

I'm glad that you had fun. I'm going there next Thursday! I'm really excited. Thanks for telling me about your fun trip!

Kim said...

Great pictures! Nice to see green! Now you have a great place to visit in the winter...not sure if you want to go in the summer though :)

Charlene said...

you're wearing shorts in January you lucky gal! Did the sun come with you? I don't see it here?

Heather said...

Oh sunshine! I am so happy that you had a wonderul time. Thanks for the cactus and palm pictures...I love them! You forgot to bring the sunshine back with you....next time, okay?

Rochelleht said...

Looks like a blast! So glad you had a great time!!