Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Best Day So Far

On Friday I participated in the Fargo 5K. I started training 12 weeks ago. I followed the Couch Potato to 5K training program. It was easy to follow...sort of. When I started 12 weeks ago I had 2 goals...run the whole way and finish under 45 minutes. I really had no idea how hard it would be. Physically hard...but emotionally difficult as well. I really had limited outside running time (despite my best efforts...dang rain) and I found it a lot harder to run outside than on my treadmill. Not something you want to find out the week before the race. I almost let it defeat me before I started. Lucky for me my sisters sent me some love and support in the mail and it got me through...to the start line. Here is my timing chip. Amazing little thing.....
Here we are before the start of the race. Heather and her hubby (behind the camera) and their daughter ran the 5K too. It was the first race for Dani and I. Isn't she cute!!
Here are the women racers. Heather is an experienced runner (this being her 6th race) and Renae ran the 1/2 Marathon the next day (and shaved 13 minutes off her previous time!)
The starting line. I didn't actually get to see this until I saw the pic. Impressive. There were 5197 runners/walkers in the 5K. That was a whole lotta people!
I'll tell you how nervous I was at the start...My hands were sweaty and my stomach had ginormous butterflies. I had to turn on my Ipod just to calm myself down. With all the participants jammed into the street waiting for the starter's gun...I got a little claustrophobic. People were everywhere. I do wish they had some kind of race etiquette...like in golf....don't walk in front of someones ball...be quiet...replace the divot. So for a race it could be, walkers stay to the right, slower runners in the middle and fast runners to the left....makes sense...right? It was hard to keep a pace and dodge the slower folks. There were amputees, burn victims, transplant patients and a bunch of us Fit Fattys. We were all there to prove something to ourselves. Mile 1 wasn't too bad. Heather had to remind me to slow down....I kept trying to run to the beat of whatever song was playing. Not good...From there to mile 2 was hard....not going to lie. I wanted to stop. I almost did.....thanks HH! The last mile was ROUGH!! I took small bits of courage from the people sitting along side the race shouting out encouragement to the runners. I took small bits of courage from the little boys and girls that lined the route waiting with their hands out for a high 5. I was SO ready to quit when Heather told me to look up...there was the finish line! I still wasn't sure I could make it...but I could feel my "angels" pushing me from behind....whispering to me that I could...just keep going....don't stop now. So I set my sights on the finish line and dug down deep. The people that lined the route to the finish were amazing. They encouraged us and held out their hands for us to slap as we passed. It helped...not going to lie...it helped a lot. And then just before the finish was my daughter, her bff (my other favorite teen), and my peep Renae. They were yelling and cheering and shouting for us. They loved us and they wanted to make sure we knew it. They were holding up signs for us (the one my sisters sent and the posters Renae made).
Crossing the finish line was a big deal. I wanted to do my best. Just my best....no other expectations. Just leave it all on the track. And I did. I had jell-o legs by the time I finished...but I had done it. It was over.
My Heather....she pushed me just enough...but not so much that I wanted to throw her under a moving car. I couldn't have run this race without her. There are a lot of things I'd not be able to get through without her by my side....encouraging me and loving me...win or lose.
Us...what a great team. These girls are the best. Seriously....I love them.
Dani and I ...our first 5K under our belt. She finished well ahead of me...but she has been training for 11 years. Not once has she been over-weight or out of shape. I applaud her strength. She is a sweet girl and a great athlete.
Dani and I wore our medals to church today. We did something that was a challenge to us...we set a goal and we accomplished. That alone is huge for me. I am happy with my results. I finished in 40:01 minutes. I did great for my first....I'm sure it won't be my last.

10 comments:

Nae said...

I loved reading about your experience because even tho' there were 5000+ participants, each runner has his/her own journey. I am SO, SO, SO grateful that I was there to witness your personal journey. Wear that medal with pride because you earned it! You did the work. You made it happen. You are amazing!!!

Kim said...

Awesome!!! You did so great! You have a great, great support system. Can you believe you did it?! Some times we can psyche ourselves out...but you made it girl! Way to go!

Rochelleht said...

YEAH YOU!!!!

Heather said...

I am just now reading this. Probably would have bawled the whole way around the lake if I'd read it earlier. LOVE YOU!!!! I tried so hard to not push you to the point of actually pushing me over!!!! I just had to let you know that I wasn't going to give up on you that easy! After all I was there a year ago....I could feel your pain! I am so proud of you, and I LOVE these pictures! Thanks Nae!

Kim said...

WOW Thanks for making me cry sister! Holy cow what an emotional week you had! You have such wonderful friends! Thank you Heather for all you have done for my sister! You rock! You were totally ment to be a sister! Good job Lori I knew you could do it!!! WHOOT WHOOT!

La Mujer Loca said...

WOOHOO! You did it!

msorensen said...

YOU ARE SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!! You make me laugh, I love your description of the race!! You rock!! You have inspired me more than you will ever know!! And by the way, you are looking good!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you have lost more weight!! whoot whoot!! Keep up the great work my sister, I can't wait to run with you next year!!! I will be ready!!!!!!!

Charlene said...

WAHOO!!!! I'm so proud of you!! You did awesome!!

Connie said...

What an inspiration you are. Way to go.

cindyc said...

Yay!! Now, whenever you feel discouraged, you can think back on this and tell yourself "I can do hard things! I've done them before!" Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey!