Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lately

So , lately I've been in a funk. It's true...go figure. I guess the prospect of turning my life upside down (yet again) is finally becoming too real. Usually I just settle in with a batch of chocolate chip cookies and ignore everything. But since I've been training I've tried to find a healthier way to deal with things. So...I've been finding projects. I didn't get any before pictures of the first one...it was hideous. It had the most tragic shade of orange stain on the cheap balsa wood. It needed my help. It practically begged me to take it home. This is the back...it is still the strange shade of sad.
I painted it blue, then let it dry. Then I covered it with Heirloom White and sanded it down. It turned out really cute. I think I will like it in my new craft room.
I needed a gift for my peeps...kind of a "Thanks for the love and Support" kind of a thing. I got some of the old blue Ball jars and various other supplies out of the magic craft room.
I wound the twine around the top of the jar, securing it with the hot glue every now and then. Then I filled the jars with assorted Dove chocolates.
A beautiful gift for my beautiful friends!
When I was at the Salvation Army Thrift Store the other day, I found this shelf for $1. I was jazzed. It's sturdy and well made....but if you are anything like my sweet hubby...you'll not want to see what I am about to do to it. See....DH HATES it when I paint over real wood. He can't stand to watch. It almost causes him pain. So if you are one of those types....you might want to stop reading.
I went to Home Depot (cause that is the only option I have for the next 2 weeks) and picked out some paint. It is the same exact paint I will be using in my new craft room and laundry room.
Then I sanded it down. I liked it before I sanded it...but I really liked it after it was a bit shabby!
Then I pulled out the trusty old black stain and globed some on and used a rag to wipe it off.
Nice and extra shabby now. Perfect. Since it is going in my new house I didn't want to put holes in my walls just to stage it.
So I propped it up on some magazines and the paint can. I used some of the accessories that are already in my laundry room. For my new laundry room...I am leaning more toward green instead of red. We'll see. I do love the finished shelf. Even if Hubby thinks it's a crime against all the is good and holy. He'll get over it....eventually....



I am linking to Thrifty Treasures and Metamorphosis Monday. Check out the projects there and get your craft on!!

13 comments:

Connie said...

You have been busy busy haven't you. Cute idea with the jars, your friends are lucky.

That shelf looks awesome. I know what you mean about painting wood, my husband just rolls his eyes when I paint wood. Then when I take sandpaper to it to rough it up afterwards...well let's just say he doesn't understand.

Anonymous said...

Great projects! I love the way they all turned out. What is the name of that blue paint you used on the shelf? After you antiqued it, it is the exact same look I am looking for for my nightstand in my bedroom.

Teresa said...

Adorable Lori! I love it all! I wish you were coming to live by me so we could Goodwill and craft together :c(
Oh, and if Jim ever gives you crap about painting wood you can tell him about how bad of a person I am. When Brian had the cabinet shop he made me a dresser made out of beautiful Maple...and I wanted it painted white! He was not impressed!!

Rochelleht said...

You really are amazing!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Outstanding $1 makeover...hop over and join us at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS!

Blessings,
Linda

Fenima said...

Lori, I love your shabby shelf, adorable. I also love the pic of Christ on your side bar. I have one of those at my house too.

www.vintagetherapy.blogspot.com

La Mujer Loca said...

Love them. Good luck with the move.

Mel said...

The shelf turned out wonderfully. Great finds.

Lisascraftiques said...

Great yard sale finds can always make you smile.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That's a very cute piece & for $1, you can't go wrong.

Alyssa said...

All of your creations are awesome!
Love the jute and flower embellishments on the ball jars and the paint on the shelves is so pretty!

Alyssa
lifeoflyssie.com

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Hey, now, about the old orange--I actually kind of liked it! ahha --it made me think of the 70's or some such time zone! groovy and all that! But I do like the finished project too. OH, I could do with some of that chocolate!

Nae said...

I have always thought you were a wizard-genius with paint, but I think you may have outdown yourself! Love both shelves so much!! And so happy to be one of the lucky recipients of the dove chocolate jars. Happy me!!