Sunday, June 20, 2010

A New Table

Here is what I started with.....a beautiful forest green coffee table....FREE!
Well, actually, I traded an old rickety bbq grill for it. It was scratched and dented and dirty....and practically perfect. I was SO excited when I saw it...it was exactly what I've been looking for. In my old house the beautiful wood tables that had been in my living room were now going downstairs with the new jumbo-tron. I was in need of a table...and short on cash.I sanded the top and a little on the legs. I was also trying to get moved....so maybe this was a bad time to start a paint project. It turned into a beautiful way to avoid reality....it's just how I roll.
I picked out a nice white paint with some gray under-tones. I also picked up some black glaze.After I got to Nebraska I put another coat of paint on it and let it dry. Then I sanded the edges and some on the legs. After that I wiped it all down to remove the dust from the sanding....twice. Then....my favorite part.((Sorry about the lack of pics....I was just so excited!)) I got out the glaze and wiped it on with a foam brush, let it sit for a minute and took a rag to it and removed as much as I wanted. I did learn a bit for my next project.... 1-Always do top to bottom in one swipe. It makes the glaze look more continuous and less blotchy. 2- Let. It. Dry. Don't get too eager to put the poly-crylic on the top or you will get glaze all over the place....just sayin'......
I used a non-yellowing poly-crylic to protect it from the inevitable dings of daily living. It gave the table a glossy (I used the satin finish and it is way shiny) top coat. This project took a long time and it is exactly (almost) how I pictured it looking. Now my magazines and coasters will have a comfy place to rest. I am linking up with Metamorphosis Monday and Thrifty Treasures. I encourage you to check out the projects linked up there. You never know when inspiration will strike!

23 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great table. I really like the color. It is so hard to paint and glaze. I hate being patient. Hugs, Marty

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great job! That must have taken a lot of patience to complete. I'm impressed. ;) Visiting from Rhoda's party. :)

Charlene Austin said...

WOW....what a transformation! TFS.

Meggy said...

Wow, it's beautiful! great job:)

Meggy said...

wow it turned out great! I like the glossy finish.

Rochelleht said...

WOW! You really are amazing.

Anna said...

your coffee table turned out so good, great transformation!

Debbiedoos said...

I love what you did...it is different...and I like different. I noticed Darla your pug...we have Lucy, a pug...aren't they wonderful?!!~:)

Connie said...

Great job on the table. You did a wonderful job.

Steph said...

Fantastic job!

trish said...

Beautifully done!!

Vanessa said...

Truly beautiful remake- the table came out gorgeous. I love the texture.

Kim said...

WOWZA! Sister that table rocks! Great job!!!!

Anonymous said...

HI and what a wonderful job you've done on your new to you table! That sounds like a lot of work you did but it has paid off. Great job.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Atticmag said...

The new table adds such a light, bright spot to the room. Enjoy it!
Jane F.

Charlene said...

I'm once again in awe with your crafty projects! I love the new look of the table.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Great I love the shape of that table. Looks great!

Terri said...

The color goes well with the style of the table. Definitely a bit of trash turned into treasure! Enjoy!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Great transformation project! This, or one like it, would make a perfect post for my Time Travel Thursday linky party.

I would love for you to join in on the fun for all three of my linky parties each week:

ASK THE YANKEE - MONDAYS
TIPS & TRICKS TUESDAY
TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY

You can get the details here:

http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/brambleberry-cottage-linky-party.html

Each party runs for six days, so come on by!

Hope to see you there!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Nae said...

You are so talented! Love the transformation and the fact that you did it while moving is amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person. ;-)

the mom~ said...

it looks so much better ;)

Linda Q said...

Wonderful job! I saw a table just like that at Goodwill today. Love your transformation.
I also redid a coffee table in my Met Monday post, stop by and see.
Linda

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Wow! Great transformation! Would have never guessed it is the same table. So Very "Pottery Barn"ish" :) Good job!!