On Labor Day weekend Jim surprised me and planned a day trip for us. I was so shocked....it's just not something he does a lot. I will admit to being a bit skeptical at first. Mahoney State Park didn't really sound like my thing. But I was so jazzed that he planned something that I was determined to enjoy it no matter what. There was a lot to do and see. It surprised me.

We got out of the truck and hiked a bit. There were a couple of little lakes. On one of the bigger lakes they have paddle boats to rent.

The cool old dock on this lake really drew my attention.

It was warm and windy but the sun was shining.....and that my friends, is something that I can't resist.

Walking out to see if the fish were jumping. As we pulled into this parking lot there were two fishermen getting off the lake with a bucket of fish. Jim will probably bring his Scouts back here.

Can't resist a pic of the flag, flapping in the breeze. LOVE IT!

Then we headed to the observation tower to take a look. I'm not a huge fan of heights and the wind had the platform at the top rocking a bit much for my comfort level. Didn't stay up there very long!

There is a name plaque for everything here (typical for a state park...no?)

The view from the top was worth the climb. Not the grand mountain vistas I am used to seeing, but beautiful just the same.

I loved the fence around this "prehistoric burial site". Apparently, this was the home of some ancient Indian tribe. They lived, worked and died right here.

The butterfly garden was beautiful. Not a lot (or any) butterflies....but beautiful just the same.

Gotta love a gazebo in the middle of nowhere.

No, I really do love it.

We went to the air museum that they have right next to the park. It was cool. We saw spy planes and bombers and prototypes that never were developed into anything useful. It was very interesting.

Something that I didn't get pictures of was the miniature golf course that Jim and I played. At first I poo pooed the idea. So not in the mood for mini golf....but I chose to do it anyway. Turns out that was my favorite part of the day. Smooching my honey at the end of each hole was more fun than I imagined. I even got a hole in one! Lots of fun there!!

And back to where we started. I loved this day date. Even a late lunch at the weird "stake house" was interesting. My camera battery died or I would have taken a pic of the sign announcing the Testicle Festival. Apparently an all-you-can-eat extravaganza. Yeah....I had the chicken strips. They seemed safe. All in all I give Mahoney State Park two thumbs up as a day date. Lots of sweetheart time, lots to see and do together.
4 comments:
What a fun date your hubby planned and the photos are fabulous.
It looks beautiful and so picturesque! Great job, JIM! Oh, glad you missed Testicle festival... I hear those things get a little NUTS. BAHHAHAHAHAHA!!
Your photos are FABULOUS! So happy that your honey hit it outta the park! Good job Jim! Hurray for a fun day that you didn't have to plan! Score!
Great photos! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment