Thursday, September 2, 2010

Some Musings on Change

So my life has been turned upside down over the last 3 months. We have a new home in a new state. We have a new school for Jo
and a new job for Jim. We have a new ward and new church callings. We have new people waiting for us to get settled and get on with life. My Dad is adding a new member to our family as well. Lots of new going on around here. In case you didn't know....new is hard for me. I like old. I like constant and reliable. Change is hard for me. I guess that is why it is so prevalent in my life. When I am having a hard time adjusting to the changes life has thrown at me, I tend to withdraw. I am content to sit in my house and work on decorating or organizing or a paint project or two. I know that it is hard for new people to meet me that way....but that is their problem...right? I am content with the amazing friends and sisters in my life that love me, quirks and all. But here is the rub....I get to set an example for my daughter on how "normal" people get out and meet new friends. Sheesh, I am SO not qualified for the job. She has to go to a high school with 1600 other kids....about twice the size of her last school. I will tell you that not one of those kids in her classes has extended an invitation to sit with them at lunch or hang out after school. The church kids have been OK, but she doesn't see them at school....it's that big. How can I teach her to adjust to change when I myself struggle so hard with it. I have found that I tend to internalize her pain along with my own. Not a good idea....as I tend to "eat" my feelings. I have tried to change that long developed habit. I am able to do other things to fill the holes in my heart...but there are times when it is too strong, and I am too weak. So here we are, no right answers in sight. Looking for the end of the tunnel and hoping there isn't another train coming in the mean time. Are you good with change? How do you cope?

7 comments:

Kim said...

Oh sister, we are so made from the same mold! ME NO LIKE CHANGE! It's not good for me! I wish I had some grand advice for you, but alas I don't! All I know is we have to keep chugging along, it's all we can do! I love you!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. All that is so HUGE! I am really sympathizing. I'm so not good with that kind of change. This is why we have lived in the same place for the last 12 years.

Nae said...

Change is very, very hard for me too, even if it is inevitable. As it stands, I don't have any secrets for coping... in fact, I am queen of denial and avoidance. I too have a little one who struggles like me and I can't seem to make that better either. The only advise is to pray for acceptance. I believe it will lead you to the answer and make you stronger in the process. I'll keep both you and Jo in my prayers and ask the same for me and Kippy. Love you!

msorensen said...

Cope....what a funny little word...I think you are better than you give yourself credit "at coping". You have endured a lot and still have your faith and your family and friends, I would call that successful. You have the 3 "f"s and that is all that matters!! I think you set a great example and I thank you for setting it!! Jo will find her way, it may take her longer or she might take an unconventional route, but she will get there. I have Faith in you both because you are my Family and two of my best Friends....look, I have the 3 "f"s too!! hahahahaha!

Grandma Rozla said...

Oh boy, I'm right there with you Lori. Change is not my friend - not at first anyway. How do I cope? I cry ALOT and then I PRAY even more - sometimes minute by minute, sometimes hour by hour, sometimes day by day. Sometimes, often crying and praying at the same time but then peace always comes and strength to take another step into the unknown. I'll pray for you too - and for Jo - hang in there, both of you! (((((((HUGS)))))))

Kim said...

Change is tough for all of us..but it can bring good things. Look at the great friends you made in FF. Learn to accept change as a positive force in your life. I know it's hard...but good always comes out of it.

La Mujer Loca said...

It's hard! Especially to watch our kids work through it. One of my boys is sooo shy and it seems like every year his new best friend moves, so he's always feeling friendless. It hurts worse for the kids...