A wild storm passed through the Omaha Metro area last night. What started as gray skies and calm winds ended in wide-spread panic and wind gusts of 75 and 80 mph.

Jim and I try to walk in the evening. We had gone out to dinner with some friends and so we were late in getting out there. We decided that we wouldn't go around the lake and risk getting caught in the rain so far from home. Good choice.

When we started our walk it just looked like a normal rain storm. We couldn't see a ridge cloud that usually precedes a major (scary) storm. We stopped at the top edge of the subdivision looking out over the corn fields that typify Nebraska. We commented on how slow the storm seemed to be moving and that we had plenty of time to make it home.

As we picked up our pace a bit, the ridge appeared and was moving fast. It was as if it was stalking us, angry at our flippant attitude toward it. The clouds were rolling and swirling, bubbling like the brew in a witches cauldron. It really was scary.

I did manage to text my daughter and tell her to take some pictures. So she went out on our front porch and started snapping away. At one point our sweet and well intentioned neighbor came out and told her she needed to get inside. At that point my over-anxious daughter started to panic. Where were her parents. If it was indeed that important for her to be in.....why weren't her parents.

The clouds started to circle and for a minute it looked like the forming funnel might break lose and reach for the ground. It was massive and would have taken out houses for miles around. Luckily it held tight to the heavens and we were spared.

If you look straight out from my front porch you'll see a big hill. As soon as we were at the base of that hill the tornado sirens started to wail. My heart leaped into my throat as my panic level reached it's limit. I could see my house....but I was still so far away.

The wind was roaring in my ears and the wail of the tornado siren was feeding my panic and all I could think to do was run. Now....I'm not a runner. Never have been. But I tell you what....the sight of my daughter, alone on the porch (worried about her poor Mama) and the anxiety of not knowing what was really coming....When I say I ran....I RAN! Full out.

I had no pony tail, so it was hard to see....no sports bra (TMI?)...luckily I was wearing my running shoes, but I didn't need them because I flew. My sweet hubby had crossed the street and was running as well. Low and behold...this non-runner, (fueled by fear and the overwhelming need to protect and comfort my daughter)became a runner. My daughter couldn't see me only her Dad and that added to her panic. She called my phone but I didn't hear it. If you look really closely at the picture below you'll see us. The white speck and the pink speck at the base of the hill.....that is the hubby and I.

By the time we reached the house it was raining. There was a gal that had been out for her evening run and happens to live on the other side of the hill. But with the sirens going off she asked if she could duck in our house with us. Her name is Ellen and is a nice lady who had a 9 year old son and a 74 year old Mom waiting for her to return. We let her use our phone to call them and then we waited. When the wind slowed a bit and the clouds just looked like clouds, Jim drove her home and we returned to life as usual. Lesson learned.....just because it looks like a harmless little thunder storm doesn't mean it is. Stay close to home and if you do leave....well.....just don't get too far from home.
9 comments:
See Shrub all you needed is a hole lotta fear, and you became a runner! HAHA! Oh my gosh I can only imagine how scary that was, cool at first, then reality sunk in, and dang it was scary! Poor Jo to be worried about you! Those clouds are so scary cool! I looks like a tidel wave in the sky! So glad all is well! Love you!
yikes! that was some killer wind, wasn't it? glad you made it home okay!
These photos are terrifying and also beautiful. Wow!!
Oh my, that looks so wicked and I am sure your daughter was just a little panicked, I know I would have been. How lucky for you that a tornado didn't reach the ground. VERY SCARY!!!
Glad it turned out well, but you generated some anxiety in me with your great story telling! You had me at "WILD". And sorry to tell you, but you IS a runner. ;0
I too am a fan of Pioneer Woman and saw your post.....so i thought i would take a peek......i was born in illinois, so i remember the scary storms a brewing! when i tell people it literally rained down frogs and fishes, they look at me like "oh really?!!!" Yes, really! we lived uphill from a lake, and when those water spouts would go over the lake, the little frogs and fishies would be picked up, then dropped down wiggling all the way! Oh yeah, those water spouts were really tornadoes over the water......Peace and blessings, JustNanny
I came over here from PioneerWoman and I just happen to live in Valley NE. I had to look at your pics because I was too busy getting my outside things into the garage before they blew away! I didn't get a chance to get my camera out to take any. It was a crazy storm thats for sure!
Wow, aren't storms just the most beautiful thing?
http://gloryorganics.wordpress.com/
Scary! I would say you are a runner, too. Not to get off subject...but is Jim's truck ever dirty? Probably not :)It's always so nice and shiny.
Post a Comment