Friday, September 7, 2012

Honing My Skills aka Avoiding the Vacuum

Why is it so hard some days to focus on what I am SUPPOSED to be doing. Hey wait, who says what I'm supposed to be doing? Not my Mom...My hubby gave up on that years ago...Who is it that I owe this debt of guilt to? Huh...anyhoo...I was SUPPOSED to be vacuuming and doing laundry and dusting, you know stuff that needs done during the day. But I didn't feel like it. I would start to move in that direction and would get pulled back to my craft room.
The problem was I bought some fabric a while back and wanted to get these 30 minute table runners made. Did I NEED them? No. Was my life going to be less without them? No. But they are pretty and easy and I needed something pretty AND easy....and let's face it, vacuuming and laundry are neither of those. 
SO I sat down at my sewing machine and in less than an hour had three pretty (and easy) table runners to feather my nest. I do love quick, easy projects. They match nicely with my ADD!
I think this one is my favorite. I am still working on the pumpkin placement...I only took out half of my collection this year. Who really needs 40 zillion pumpkins anyway?
Next on the project list (other than a couple requests from my sweet, adorable, lovely sister...) will be a sash for my Life Badges. It will look similar to a Girl Scout sash...maybe with a little more glitz and glam.
What are Life Badges you ask...Simple. When you have learned a life skill, such as patience (that is a hard one to earn) or balance or even kindness you get a badge to sew (or hot glue, if you are in that camp) onto your sash. The beauty of the badge is once you have earned it, you no longer have to work on that life skill. It is yours. No repeat lessons required.
Now obviously to have mastered patience you must be patient for more than an hour. Probably even more than a day. Let's say two days. If you are patient in all your dealings for two whole days, the badge is yours. Similar time constraints can be established for each Life Badge. Some will be longer, some shorter depending on the skill required. Honesty for some will be harder than patience, while balance might come easy and happy might take a bit. No matter. It will all be worth it for the badge. Do you want a sash? What Life Badge will you be working on first? What will be hard for you? I myself, will be working on....being self motivated. I figure in three days I'll have it mastered and then I can move on....(bahahahaa) Aahhhhh.....if only......

5 comments:

Heather said...

I was wondering WHO THE HECK you are answering to these days when you told me that you were SUPPOSED to be cleaning instead of crafting. Wondering when the inspector was coming??? And I LOVE that you blogged about the Life Badges! Hmmmm....I have so many mastered already! I think I'll work on my painting badge today and tomorrow. Then by Monday I will NEVER have to paint a room again. I am really liking this system!

Connie said...

You spent your time well. I love all three, so cute.

Hmmmm, life badges? At my age it looks like I have mastered them all so does that mean I can sit and craft all the time?(Now I am ducking because I am sure lightening is about to strike, LOL!)

Teresa said...

My first life badge would be "keep calm and carry on". I have decided I suffer highly from anxiety. That is what I am currently working on. Yup. Life badges would be great. I would wear my sash to church...but only till I got the humility badge ;c)

Nae said...

You have mad skills, my sister, and I know crafting is much more satisfying to the sole than vacuuming any day!

Kim said...

I have told my girls to tell Dad first--anything of a crisis or kind of a crisis--then me--because I tend to--haha --over react initially. Then I calm down. So I need to work on that badge ��