Grief what a funny sounding word. I can tell you though, there isn't much funny about it. In the past eleven months I have had the opportunity to contemplate things like grief and sorrow and their stark contrast to happiness and joy. I can honestly tell you that I've experienced both in the last eleven months. I have sat in a patch of sunlight and felt it warm my face (obviously this was months ago) and was happy. I have also sat in the same room and felt the overwhelming sadness of loss and a bit of regret. Regret, you ask....unfortunately, yes. But I'm not alone. There are very few articles and stories of people losing loved ones where regret didn't deepen their feelings of remorse. I am lucky in the sense that I was given the rare give of knowledge. I knew my Mom wasn't going to make it. Did I hope for the best, oh yeah. Did I help her fight...you'd better believe it. Did I know where that road was headed, yeah. Every month around the 14th, without fail, I am beset with all these emotions that I have no room for. They come in waves like the ocean, crashing down on me when I least expect it. These are the times when I have (finally) learned to cry it out. Just let go of the pretense of being "fine" and just feel. After a couple of days of purging myself of sorrow and grief, the sun comes back out and I begin to see the things around me that my Mom fought so hard to hold on to. I have learned that there are surprises in every day...good ones if your looking. And simple things like remembering the good times with Mom and appreciating her selflessness feel like a life preserver when I am going under. I have learned that one good part of grief is the way it has sharpened my memories. I have focused on times with my Mom that I never want to forget. As my heart heals I am thankful for the time I was given and the warnings to get my rear to Idaho. I am thankful for the people who have been placed in my path that, without their knowing, have made my burden a bit lighter. So on this, the 13th of January, I am looking for the good in grief.
10 comments:
"I've learned......that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief."
You are doing great with all you went through this year...you are a strong woman!
Lori, you are an inspiration! I appreciate your heartfelt words and your insights really resonate with me. I know your mom is very proud of the learning and healing that you continue to go through. Please know that you can share your feelings anytime!
Well said, Lori! Thank goodness for the knowledge we have of a Heavenly plan to help us through this life. Keep the faith - you're a great example to us all! Ingrid
I can't even imagine how hard it would be. I totally think you are allowed to cry whenever and where ever you want.
Those were some powerful words!! You are an example to me and I appreciate all that you are and do for others!
Again with the crying at work! Goodness sake! I love you and want you to know how thankful I am for having such an AMAZING big sister! I had a melt down on Matt last night he looked at me like I was crazy, it just made me wish you were here!Your da bomb! ;)
Awwww....wise words Lori...thanks for being my friend!
You are amazing, lady! I am so enjoying reading your posts, you are so "real" about life and my heart goes out to you for the loss you have experienced. Thanks for your example of faith and endurance, I can learn a lot from you!
How could I have not read this 2 days ago. Yesterday must have been icredibley hard for you! I hope I made your day a little easier to bear....I know you made my day more manageable! I liked the passage that someone (Jim or P.U.) about how we need the grief and sorrow to apprciate the happiness. I know that you know. You are an awesome example to the rest of us. Even on your worst days. You really do rock. I am blessed to have you for my friend!
Post a Comment