This week has been quite eye-opening for me. I have subbed in the kindergarten center with Miss Shelby all this week. Her para took a short, very needed break to heal a bit from the loss of her hubby. I have been very happy to help out. I have noticed a few changes in myself, though. I am much more willing to state the obvious. Example, you ask...well if I'm told there are two color choices for paper hearts...I might just remind you that I'm a girl. And if you tell me that we are having recess outside today because it is up to -5 degrees and the wind isn't blowing, I'll probably tell you that I have a runny nose. And if you really want to know...it was the kid next to me that tooted...not me. Another thing I have noticed about myself this week is that loud noises and commotion aren't as annoying as they were before Christmas break. It's true...I'm a bit more relaxed. Of course that could be because I literally chase after Shelby ALL day, except for the brief hour that she naps. When she is bored or in need of a smooth transition...we go practice walking up the stairs. So maybe I'm just so tired that I forget to cringe at the loudness I sometimes encounter. Kind of strange some of the things I have noticed about the kids; They love it when you remember their name. They just assume that because you are tall, you can and will tie their shoes for them. Most of them are inexhaustible. I swear if you could bottle their extra energy and sell it...you would be rich. A lot of them don't get enough validation at home so a smile and a thumbs up goes a long way with them. If they like you...they'll let you know. If they don't like you...you'd never guess it. They eat disgusting things. I'm not just talking boogers here. Have you seen school lunch lately? Sheesh, some of it looks like......well I won't go there....but you get the point. Oh yeah, the point...ah the point is... I know there is a point...where did I...oh yeah...I did learn a lot of things this week but probably the biggest thing I figured out has been little kids aren't just sticky noise makers. Well, some are...but I think I understand better why my Mom worked for the state in their Infant/Toddler program for those 20 plus years. Little kids don't care what you wear, or if you have the latest hair style (or heck, even if you found time to cover those stray grays). They don't care how big your house is or what kind of car you drive. All that matters to them is...ARE YOU NICE? That's it...do you smile, do you help them feel good about themselves? That is all that truly matters and somehow we forget that as we grow older. So my new goal (not really resolution cause I don't do those) is just to be nice. It can't be all that hard. Heck, after all...a 5 year old can do it.
9 comments:
Lori,
I just decided to catch up on your blog for my lunch and read this latest. You made me cry.... I am using some excerpts from your blog (per your permission of course) at our next stake primary teacher meeting. I think everyone should read it... The world would be better to remember to be NICE! Love ya-Nicole (yeah, Steve's Nicole)
I like that plan! Being nice goes a LONG way, even with adults ;)
Ah, that's a GREAT goal.
And, yes, I've seen school lunch recently. I took Jane McD's this week and came and ate with her at school. The kids next to us were shoveling that school lunch crap down their throats and it was making me lose my appetite. Not that it was that hard. I mean, McD's isn't much better...
Kids are the greatest!! Aren't they great examples to follow!! In the words of Caleb, "Good job, Lori, good job!"
Nicole!!! I miss you!! Send me your e-mail address. I found your wedding invitation the other day...so cute!!
Wow my sister you have been a busy girl!Ya you should try and be nicer you know you are kinda mean! HAHAHA! Just kidding! You are amazing! Michelle and I were just discussing yesterday how we should try and look at the world through childs eyes! It is much easier to be nice and happy! I love you and miss you! I ordered something for you today! YEA!
Beautiful post Lori! I love the way children can at times see things more clearly than we adults can, getting right to the heart of the matter...that how we treat others is what really matters.
You are awesome! And already so nice. Good goal nonetheless. Be nice. I like it. Simple enough. Unitll..... Well that's when it will really count, right?
Such a simple goal for all of us...be nice...how hard can that be? Sounds like you had a very busy, tiring, challenging and fun week. TTYL.
Post a Comment