I will tell you that yesterday was harder than I ever thought it would be. I was unprepared for the wave of memories that crashed down on me. I thought that the blessed fog that enveloped us the day Mom died would have kept some of those memories from resurfacing. Guess not. Not all of them were bad memories. Parts of that day found us laughing until we cried...the tears were real...but so was the laughter. The Hospice lady (that we'd met only once...2 days before) was there doing some of the things that Hospice offers...like rounding up all the meds of the deceased. We didn't realize she was just outside the room when we jokingly pointed out Mom's narcotics on the nightstand. The uncomfortable way she rushed in and scooped them up is something I'll not soon forget...or the HUGE burst of laughter that followed her out of the room. I'll always remember the snow that fell during the night that made the roads hazardous for my Aunt Peggy who just wanted to come say good-bye before the funeral home left with Mom's body. I'll never forget making all those early morning phone calls to relatives and friends letting them know that Mom's plans changed and she wasn't going to be there for her party that afternoon. I still feel bad for the ones we forgot to call. The cute little valentines that the younger kids gave Gram the day before, are still taped to the picture in the guest bedroom where she could see them. The shopping trip to find something to wear for the funeral...sheesh...the worst shopping trip in history. So many memories...a lifetimes worth...filled my day yesterday. Some of the day was spent sobbing, some of it in quiet contemplation. Most of it was lonely. I wasn't great company at all...not too surprising....but Jim hung in there and tried to be supportive. Mostly I'm just glad to be done with the day...only a few more days filled with more memories to endure. But then, I have reason to believe, that it will get a bit better. The memories won't slice though me like a Ginsu. The rough edges of the scars will fade and the memories will be just that...memories.
7 comments:
Oh Lori, Lori..I was thinking about you and was going to call you...but thought you may need the day alone or with your family. Grief is such a healing process. I will know who to go to or call if/when I have to go through this...because you will be a pro at it.
I don't have words to offer you comfort or solace or peace. So I pray for you. Over and over again. And I stand with open arms to offer a hug. And I want you to know you are remembered and loved and never forgotten. And one year later I am still so sorry for your loss. I love you!
Heather totally stole exactly what I was going to say!!! Crazy!
Love you Lori!
Lori, know that I would give anything to help ease the pain. I hope you feel your mom's loving presence and the prayers offered in your name. We missed you and Jim last night!
You have just crossed the mountain! Congrats! It is only going to get better! Sure, there will be the days when you stumble a bit and have a rough day, but for the most part every day it will get a little easier! Just remember, on those rough days, you have a load of friends and family who love you and are ready to help you up, brush you off, and push you back down the road! P.S. How was the ice cream?? :cP
ditto to the above. You have been on my mind a lot and I have been continually praying for you and your family.
All I have to say is I am soooo sorry for all the poor inocent people that came into our path that week! The Poor hospice lady, the poor ladies at the mall, the poor guy at the funeral home! WOW nothing like entertanment with the Barton's uh! I so wish you would have been here, next year so start planning! I love you and all I can say is we SURVIVED!
Post a Comment