
Today my Mom would have turned 58. I can tell you that because she isn't here to kick me( because, man! that's old!!)...tehehehe. She is the reason I am the person I am today. She would tell you that that statement gives her far too much credit...but we all know the truth....eventually, we all turn into our mothers (or marry them if you're a guy!!). For me, I started noticing "the change" when Kev hit about 9. Kev and I had always had a....loud....relationship. When he figured out how to push my buttons...I was done for. I started using phrases that Mom used (that I had sworn to never use on my kids). Phrases like, "you just wait until your Dad gets home", and "you're grounded for so long your kids won't know what trees look like" and still my favorite "alright...who hid the wooden spoon??" would flow freely from my lips like no body's business. I would call Mom for some pointers and instead of laughing and telling me, "HAHAHA the Mother's Curse works!!", she would calm me down and we would find a better way to deal with the situation. So on her birthday, this year, I am focusing on the terrific things she taught me and the pretty good Mom she helped me to become.
This is me and my Mom. I am about 6 weeks old here. Bald...I had issues with that for a long time when I was a teenager. Then we have Mom and Kev...best buds from the start....
Jo and my Mom have a special bond too...Mom has special bonds with each of her grandkids. It must be all the time she chose to spend with each of them. She never complained when the inevitable call for , "Grandma, want to come play in my room?" came. She'd just laugh and disappear for hours. Jo and Mom would play Barbies until I would come in and save her.

7 comments:
Lori, this is a beautiful Birthday tribute to your mom. My prayers and thoughts are with you today as they will be for this entire week. I am truly a phone call away. Or just a door away if you happen to find yourself on my doorstep.
Did you really post that at 4:40 am?? I think you look just like your Mom in that picture of her holding you when you were a baby! When did our parents get old? :cP Happy Birthday Aunt Connie!
Yeah, I actually haven't slept much for a while...maybe next week ((wink))
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Lori! I admire your good attitude and have enjoyed getting to know you even better through the blog world. This was a beautiful tribute to your mom - I'm sure she's smiling down on you! Love ya! Ingrid
Sorry you have such a dunce for a friend! I had to quick read your blog as soon as I got home. You have the exact same smile as your mom! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing memories and moments with your mom. What a wonderful woman to have for a role model!
Great tribute to your mom...moms are special women. I haven't been sleeping either this week...maybe sleep will come next week too;)
You and your mom look so much alike, both amazingly beautiful women, inside and out! You are one lucky woman to have had her for your mother. Happy birthday Mom! :)
Post a Comment