Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Get It Now

This is Kevin...age 5

So in the class that Shelby is in there is the cutest little boy. His name is Dominick. I know this because the teacher says it repeatedly throughout the day. "Dominick, sit down. Dominick, stop talking. Dominick, do you need a time out? Dominick, Dominick, Dominick..." But the thing is...I really like this kid. He is somehow endearing. His antics are cute and charming and he is just fun. At first I thought it was because he reminds me so much of my awesome nephew, Bridger. He is just about the same age as Dominick. They both have big, soulful eyes and impossibly long eyelashes and a quick grin. They are both charming and sweet and mischievous and want to know how things work. As I was confessing this to the teacher, almost embarrassed that the kid who caught the most grief was my favorite...she concurred. He was one of her favorites as well. She talked of his many attributes (that some might see as flaws) and how after relaying them to Dominick's Mom followed it up with, "But I REALLY like him." And it hit me...he reminds me of Kevin when he was little. That is exactly what all his teachers said to me. "He talks too much. He moves too much. He can't stay focused to save himself....but I really like him." No wonder this little boy can flash his smile and I am ready to stand up for him to anyone who dares question is abilities to sit and stay. Some times there is more to life than sit and stay. Dominick gets it...and so do I.

9 comments:

Charlene said...

Yep, that sounds almost identical to the same conversations I've had with Ethan's teachers!! Gotta love those boys of ours!!!

the mom~ said...

Awwww....how sweet!

La Mujer Loca said...

What a cute little Kev! Where has the time gone?

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, I love this picture! I don't think I have ever seen it, is it at mom's work? Kevin was ment to be your child, you are the perfect cheerleader for the restless! Who knew he would grow up to be such a great young man, oh wait I think we always did! Love ya!

Heather said...

Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. Gotta love those kids! And in my case....gotta homeschool her too! Madi does her best work skating around the table on her heelies!

Teresa said...

I so remember when Kev was that age (truth be told I about had a heart attack when I saw that he wasn't that small anymore!) and I remember telling you that that boy would be a heart breaker when he got older with those eyes!

Nae said...

And as my husband is so fond of telling me, "She'll figure out how to make it work." whenever I fret about some personality quirk a teacher has pointed out in one of our children... Kevin is proof that kids figure out how to make things work! Keep on being yourself, Dominick!

Jeri said...

Holy cow, Kev was such an adorable little boy, no wonder he is so cute now!

Christy said...

i love that picture - that is exactly how i remember Kevin :) My favorite story of him is when we would get him to tell Shasta to sit...he would say "shit" over and over - we thought it was so funny!