When I was about 9 we had a special Easter party (I think it was Easter...Mom's not here to ask....so...) in the community room at the apartment complex of my Aunt Pam. There were a lot of relatives there. All of my Mom's sisters and her brother were there with their families. My Grandma and Grandpa Goodwin were there. So were Grandma Goodwin's Mom and Dad.....Nana and Grandaddy. A more perfect couple you'd be hard pressed to find. I remember there being jelly beans (I
really like jelly beans....especially now that Starburst makes fruit flavored beans). There was cake and a lot of laughter....but what remember the most is the tire swing outside. The devilish, puke inducing, dizzy-making tire swing. The tire for this swing was laid flat and connected to chains in four places....so four kids could ride at the same time. My Dad...hehehe I love my Dad....but he doesn't always display the most sound judgment when playing with his kids, or grandkids for that matter. He drives too fast on the 4 wheeler, or throws the ball to hard, or pushes the swing too high. My Dad is the youngest of 3 boys that are each one year apart in age. He had it rough as a kid and survived....I think he is sure his kids and grandkids will be that tough too. That being said... my Dad was the
most fun guy ever to grow up with. Anyway...back to the swing. So as I sat there on the swing with my cousins or siblings....or who ever else was dumb enough to sit on the devil swing...Dad offered to push us. Not back and forth in traditional swing fashion. Oh no....We would be going in circles. A lot of circles. And really fast. I remember holding on and trying to stay upright.....and laughing until I though my head would burst. Everything was great.....until....it wasn't. I wanted off. I had to get off....this wasn't fun anymore. And then it really wasn't. The combination of techni-colored jelly treats mixed with high velocity spinning resulted in a very ugly, quickly spinning trail of gooey eeeewwwww. Yeah....ick. Of course then Dad was SURE I'd had enough and took me seriously when I asked him to stop. I got off the swing and promptly fell over sideways. Man, my stomach felt queasy. It was so not good. It stayed queasy for days. Seriously....days. And now...to this day
almost 30 years later, I get queasy looking at a tire swing. No lie. But that being said....I had an
awesome time over all. So my advice on this Easter day is....make good family memories today. What a perfect excuse for family time. Easter, a day for us to celebrate the sacrifice our Savior made for us allowing us to live with him...and our families....again.
7 comments:
And you still like jelly beans!?!
Oh man I have a swing story too, made me barf! Glad you guys came for dessert, you all make great company, especially that son of yours, LOL!!! Happy Easter Lori!
I have never been motion-sick before so it is hard for me to really understand, but you did such a fantastic job describing the nausea that I think I feel sick! Ha!
I just wanted you to know that your Blog is my favorite online entertainment. You are HILARIOUS and say such touching things. Just want you to know I love reading it and you. Much love-
I agree with Nicole...your blog is so fun and touching. Thanks for sharing!
Loved the swing as the child. Have a favorite uncle who used to push us HIGH at family parties. Love him.
OK HAHAHA I am dying of laughter! The other day Michelle and I took Bridger and Brook to the park at the beach, in the back they have a tire swing, they wanted a push so me being the mom, I walked over and pushed them like you would on a normal swing.....it was met by HUGE groans from Bridger, "NOT LIKE THAT MOM, DO IT LIKE GRANPA DOES!" Sure enough I had to spin him until I was for sure he was going to vomit! Too funny the tire swing twirl lives on!
Post a Comment