Thursday, April 9, 2009

Not In Kansas Anymore

So funny. My son is taking classes here at the community college in town. He is preparing to serve a mission for our church and decided to save the money he would have spent on tuition at an out of state school (read BYU-Idaho) so he would have more moolah to pay for said mission. Today I asked him how his English class was. I never see him doing homework...not that I see him much at all. But he said it was fine, he'd had a test today. He is sure he did really well and laughed because his teacher had passed it out and then had to return to jail.....(sound of record scratching)....huh??? Because I am so articulate when caught off guard...huh? is all I could come up with. Yep, his English professor received his 4th DUI and is in jail. He is allowed to come to class (with a police escort) long enough to pick up the previous days assignment and hand out a current assignment. Then they haul him back out to the paddy wagon and ship him back to his cell. I asked Kev what happens if one of his students has a question about the assignment??? Well...the nice guards have let him set up office hours so his students can stop by and get help should they need it. wow.... I come from a small community where there are a couple larger colleges nearby. I don't think I have ever heard of a professor on work-release from jail. I am suffering from a little culture shock today. Oh me...oh my .......huh?

8 comments:

Kim said...

HAHAHAHAHA that is the funniest story I have heard all week! ONLY IN FERGUS! I can just imagine Kev's little smerk on his face and in his voice as he said this to you, knowing full well what it was going to do you! Thanks I needed the laugh today!

Rochelleht said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

I'm guessing that wouldn't have happened at BYU-I. Am I right?

Teresa said...

Ha ha! Too funny! I waited in the car while Brian ran into UNM yesterday. I was people watching. When he got back in the car I told him that when he goes to school there he is going to have a little bit of culture shock. At least he went to UVU too so it wouldn't be as bad. But, coming from BYU I was...in shock....and that was just people WATCHING.

Charlene said...

LOL!!! Roger teaches at a prison, but never heard of a teacher teaching from prison!!

Ingrid Lott said...

That is the funniest story I have heard in a long time! Are you sure you're not in Idaho?!

Heather said...

That is great...not the 4th DUI but the story. I love it. Put a smile on my face for sure!

the mom~ said...

Seriously, I'm not laughing...fire his sorry a$$ and give the job to one of the many waiting and needing a job who'd LOVE to teach FROM THE SCHOOL and show great examples. What a fricken joke!
*thinking to self...I wonder if he's on the county jail website?*

Nae said...

Such cultural diversity in small town USA. I am a little put-out that my hubby can't get a permenant position at said community college, yet we can have criminals teaching our future generations. Grrrr!!!