Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fabric Flowers

I decided I needed to break away from the rolled rosettes. I found some silky fabric on clearance at Hobby Lobby so I bought a foot of each of the 4 colors. I looked all over for a good tutorial.....you know.....because I am challenged when it comes to following directions I needed one I could follow. I found a few that were sort of easy to follow. What I didn't understand....I made up my own. I took pics of the third attempt....you know....because I usually do at least three.
This is a soft aqua silky fabric. I started by cutting six circles. I cut three on the pen line and three just short of the pen line.....that way one is smaller and they are more graduated in size.Here they are...all ready to go. I lit a tea light candle....FYI....the longer it burns the hotter it gets....just sayin'.I started by holding it 2-3 inches from the flame as per one of the tutorials but it was taking forever and I'm just not that patient. So I was about an inch or less from the flame most of the time. Another hint....use tweezers for the smaller circles....fewer burned digits!Using two hands for the bigger circles gave me better control and maneuverability. Another tip....be ready to blow out the occasional flame. No harm done :) After singeing the edges I held the flower, top up,to the flame....just until it puckered a bit.
Lay them all together and turn and arrange the circles until everything meets with your exacting standards. I used hot glue to glue them all together....but you could sew them. I think the glue was easier.Then I dug in my bead stash for some coordinating beads. You could use buttons or crystals or whatever.
Here are my three finished flowers. I will put alligator clips on the back so they can be used on either head bands or clothing.There you have it. Probably about as clear as mud....but there you go. I will be linking up during the week to some great link parties. Check them out for some fabulous ideas.
Metamorphosis Monday
I Made THIS Tuesday
Whatever Goes Wdenesday
Strut Your Stuff Thursday

13 comments:

Connie said...

Very nice. I have made flowers similar to yours before but I REALLY like how you did lots and lots of layers.
I am with you on following written directions, I am a hands on kinda person.

Kathleen said...

so pretty! i would've never guessed that's how you make those flowers!

ps i like your red fiesta ware plate (i have green, yellow and white...i love fiesta ware :-) ).

Kammy said...

Wow, you are so talented !
These look great !
Hope you have a great week !
Hugs,
Kammy

Teresa said...

Cute! And, I am so proud to say that I beat you to those (for once!)! My friend and I made a TON of flower hair clips for our girls a few weeks ago and those were some that we made! :cD

Sue said...

These turned out beautifully. I love the colors!

Kimberlea@SaVvyDeCor said...

I just bought a flower to put on a pillow I made because I didn't know how to make one. Thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait to get started!

Donna said...

These are beautiful! What a super idea! I'm so glad I dropped by from BTNOP Metamorphasis Monday. I was linking up how to make a romantic bedroom. :o) I just have to try making one of these!

xo
Donna @ Comin' Home

Kim Elkins said...

VERY cool! I will have to dig through my fabric stash!

Kim said...

Those are very cool my sista! I love how creative you are! So when are you coming home......

Amanda said...

These are gorgeous, I don't know I'd be so careful with the flame, mine would probably go up in flames!

Lindsey said...

Those turned out great! I love that blue color you used. :)

Naturally Me Creations said...

I love making those fabric flowers! I just wish i had more reason to make them, i don't know what to do with them! :) I made some to decorate a card once and i think that turned out pretty good.

Unknown said...

These are SOOO pretty! I'm always so nervous to try to singe the edges of something like this, but you did a fabulous job! These might just be pretty enough to tempt me to overcome my fear... : )