One year ago today I was changing my flight from the 26th of February to the 11th of February. The week before I had received an invitation to my Mom's retirement party that was to be held on Valentines Day. Mom explained that she didn't expect me to come for it...she just wanted me to know that I was invited. The longer that invite sat in my house the more urgent it became that I attend that party. I had no reason to feel so compelled, after all Mom said she was feeling good and she just knew she was going to beat this cancer. The feeling only intensified. Finally, after talking to my sister about the real state of things back home I dug in my piggy bank and called the airline. They doubled the price of my flight (looking back I'd have sold a kidney to get there) and had me on a flight the next day. I didn't change my return date of March 5th though. I just felt like a month would be justified somehow. I was immediately at peace when I had changed my flight. I think it was at that point that I recognized the Lord's hand guiding me and making sure I was going to have fewer regrets than I already had. I decided to ride the shuttle from SLC to Blackfoot to save everyone the $4 gas and hassle of coming to pick me up. Of course if I had known it was going to be the Mexican Bus of Sadness...I'd have accepted the offer my friends and family had made to pick me up. (I guess I'd better explain so I don't offend anyone...you know in the movies set in rural Mexico and our beloved heroine gets on the bus to ride to her true love... she steps on the bus to find it full of people who look so down trodden and beaten by life...oh and filled with chickens...and the smell...sheesh...)I pulled into Blackfoot at 11:00 p.m. on my Mom's birthday and my Dad was waiting to pick me up. I have never been so relieved to finally be home in all my life. I got to wish my Mom a Happy Birthday (even though I had asked her to not wait up so she could be well rested for the next day) and give her the presents I had brought. I tried not to cry at the sight of my frail little Mamma. She wasn't looking as good as she had led me to believe. My sisters had tried to prepare me for how thin she was...but I never would have believed it. She was happy to see me and I just wanted to turn back time and never leave...not that that would change the outcome...but I had lost so much time...bygones...This started in my head to be a gratitude blog...so, back to that...Had I not listened to the promptings I received I would have not been in Blackfoot when I needed to be there the most. I will be forever grateful and feel so blessed to have a Father in Heaven who knows me and understands what I need better than anyone else. I am thankful for a family who didn't complain (too loudly or too often) when I picked up and moved to Idaho for a month. I am thankful for sisters who told me to get my butt there no matter the cost. I am so thankful for the few days I had with my Mom this week one year ago.
10 comments:
Wow we truely are so alike! As I awoke this morning all I could remember was what I was doing a year ago! Feeling so lost and helpless at the sight of our mother. I am so thankful you listened to Heavenly Father and came home! I love you!
Oh Lori, I love you! (((((((HUGS))))))
Oh, Lori, that was so tender. I'm so grateful for the Spirit also. When my grandpa was sick 11 years ago, I felt the prompting to write him a letter. It felt so urgent that I got out of bed right at that moment, wrote how I felt about him and then sent it first thing in the morning. He got it three days later and then died within hours of reading it. SO grateful the Lord lets us have those moments to keep and comfort us. What a blessing.
What a miracle! I too am grateful for the endless guidance from a loving Father in Heaven...so glad you listened and have this sweet memory to cherish always. Thanks, as always for your most cherished feelings, I truly feel the spirit as I read your heartaches and your triumphs through pain! You are amazing...
I've been thinking of you and you are in my prayers!
Oh..what a week...our prayers are with you and all families going through and who have gone thorugh hell.
I have had you in my thoughts and prayers all week Lori. Love ya!
What a beautiful message of gratitude, Lori! I have you and your family in my prayers. I pray that the burden of guilt is lifted and that faith continues to support and guide you.
Lor, you made me laugh and cry. I've been thinking alot about you and your family. I know what a difficult time this is for you all and it is my prayer that you might find peace and comfort in the wonderful memories you share about your lovely mom. The talk you gave at her funeral was so sweet and funny, if you still have a copy I bet she would love you to share it with her again this valentines day. You know, she is always watching over you! Love and miss you.
Lori, this was the sweetest. You are an amazing woman. Love you girl!
Post a Comment