
Kevin and I went to the lake in town today to feed the babies. We have been using the short weeks we have left wisely. You know....quality time. It has been really fun. We talk and laugh and have meaningful discussions....and we just enjoy hanging out.

We both LOVE baby animals. It's that tender-hearted side we get from my Mom. She was such an animal lover. These babies were fabulous. They were cute and fluffy and they made the sweetest little chirping sounds.

Last year at this lake I noticed, for the first time, the different parenting styles of the ducks vs the geese. Geese, as you may already know, are in control. They swim with their babies in a straight line with one parent in the front and one in the back. Ducks, however, let their babies swim willie nillie all over the place. The Mom will even leave the lake without all of her babies following behind. It gives me heart palpitations just thinking about it.

I was wondering if Kevin would pick up on this difference. We watched them both for a while and sure enough. He picked out the similarities between me and the geese right away. I think his comment was something like..."Man, you're sure no duck." He's right. I am a goose all the way.

I asked him if (looking back) he thought that was a bad thing. After thinking about it for a minute he said, "Nope. Just think of all the trouble you kept me out of. Thanks."

No problem, my fluffy little chick. No problem at all. I was reading a blog of a girl (she's actually like 25 now) that was in my ward in Blackfoot. She is due to have twins any day now. She said something that really struck a cord with me. It actually kept me awake last night. She was having mixed feelings about the birth of her babies. The page was turning on one chapter in her life just as a new chapter was about to begin.

She was a little sad when her newly-wed chapter ended with the birth of their son. And now the chapter with her being able to focus on her son was closing too. She looked forward to the new chapter and the joy it would bring into her life.....but a little sad at the same time.

I can totally relate to her feelings here. For almost 19 years now Kevin has been this angel that God sent into my life when I REALLY needed an angel. We grew up together and learned about life together. I am so excited for a new chapter to begin....but I am sad for this one to end. No longer will he be my little chick to fuss over and boss around. He will move out and I won't see him every day. I won't get to see that $5000.00 smile (that's how much his orthodontist bill was) every morning. I guess I am sad....because I don't know the fullness of the joy to come.

I do know that each new chapter I've started (with only one exception) has been even better than the last. I'm sure I will find things in this new chapter....like more time with Jo....that even it out a bit. One thing I can say is....man those fuzzy chicks grow fast.
8 comments:
It is sad when one chapter ends..but think about..the next is always better and just as or even more fun and exciting. I think I'm between a duck and a goose..maybe I'm a dugoose or a gooduck...whatever!
I just read this morning a conference article in the Ensign from Elder Steven E. Snow, "Get on with Our Lives" Your story fits perfect in the message he was sharing.
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been experiencing some change lately and am really having a hard time getting use to it. Your thoughts really helped. You should write a book:c)
OK so here are my thoughts too, we hate to have new chapters in our life because we HATE change! It is hard for us to go with the flow! It is something this last couple years has taught me. Do try and enjoy the new experiance to come! YOu will love it and find joy in it too! Know Kevin is ALWAYS going to be your little buddy no matter how big he gets! I love you!
PS we must visit these ducks when we get there! We just fed them at the falls and they weren't nearly as cute as this!
Sheesh LBR your blog has me sad all the time thiking of my own boys! The time sure goes fast I'm quicly learning!!! Enjoy these last days with Kev :)
I love your thoughts today. And now I am no longer confused about your earlier fb post. I totally used to be a goose. Now I'm goose in ducks feathers. Or whatever Kim S. said. It really is okay to let go a little. And if that doesn't work, Salena can have a flight booked to Texas for you in no time! ;)
Oh {SNIFF}. I have been in such an emotional mode today after attending Abby's 6th grad graduation and then to read this... HELP!! I'm a goose too and I totally agree, our fluffy little goslings are growing up WAY.TOO.FAST!
it's funny you mentioned lord of chaos. i was thinking the same thing about it being redundant. the binding on this book actually broke completely apart, so it's a pain to read. i think i'm going to give it up as a lost cause. there aren't enough "good" moments in the book to justify taking a month out of my life to read it. the series started out so promising but couldn't deliver.
Post a Comment