Sunday, May 24, 2009

Torn


I am so in love with my kids. We are in such a {mostly ;) } fun stage in our lives. They are a hoot to hang out with . They are witty and smart and just plain fun. Our conversations surprise me and I want to keep them with me all the time. Of course....as some of you have heard.....they can also be cheeky and rude and obnoxious. They are, after all, still teenagers. I had the most fabulous discussion with a missionary who spoke in our Branch today. He is from Grace, ID and he is just fabulous. He was self assured, and sweet and expressed a genuine love for the Savior. I loved talking to him and hearing about how his love for his family has grown while he's been out on his mission. He is almost finished. He is at the 20 month mark. He told me how much he loves his sisters (they're 8 & 10) and how his relationship with his Mom has deepened and how much he loves her. He gave us some great tips about what pants to buy and which shoes have lasted the longest. He bore testimony of the miracles he has seen and the wonderful people he has met. Mostly, he wished he could trade places with Kevin and be just heading out. He told us it has been the BEST two years of his life. So here is where I am torn. I love Kevin so much and I LOVE spending time with him. But here was this self-assured man standing in front of me as proof that Kevin can get even better than he already is. All I have to do is trust him to the Lord. Let Him have his undivided attention for two years. If I can do my part and Kevin can do his....I will just have to trust that all will be well...and the man that returns will be so much better than the boy that he was.

7 comments:

Kim said...

That is awesome that you were able to visit with the young man...it should make it easier to let go of Kevin for a few years...it will be such a great experience...for all of you.

Nae said...

I have no doubt at all that it will be a fantastic, life changing experience for Kevin.

Rochelleht said...

Lovely post. Lovely.

Thanks for your testimony. Sometimes, it is so hard to yield our wills to the Lord. Even when we know it is for the best. It is hard. How nice that you caught a glimpse of what will be on the other side.

I'm so proud of the mom you are, Lori. Seriously, bravo!!

Heather said...

Let him go mama.....YOU KNOW IT WILL BE WORTH IT! It was awesome to have that Elder at church yesterday and it wasn't just some coincedence either! Like PU was just walking through the church bldg and had that thought on his own? That missionary being there yesterday was EXACTLY what YOUR family needed. Not just Kevin, but each one of you. We are all so very blessed and watched over....it is awesome.

the mom~ said...

Oh man Lori...I starting crying when I read this, just the fact that your baby BOY will be leaving...I know it will be good for him and blah blah blah...but...he's your baby!!! I know I'm not making this any easier...and he will return an amazing MAN-but but but...it's hard to trust in the Lord ocmpletely when it's your kid!!!
I will think of you and when you need a shoulder to cry on...come to me...I will cry with you!

Charlene said...

that was a wonderful tender mercy moment for you and your family. He is going to be an awesome missionary!! You guys have done an awesome job raising him!!

Christy said...

i tell everyone that when i have kids - i will resort to Satan's plan and they will not have a choice when it comes to serving a mission.

I would give my whole life again for another 19 months of service. I loved every minute as a missionary...there is no other time in his life when he will be able to devote EVERY siNGle day to the Lord in service. For 2 years he will be helping people - yet in the end, it will be as the scriptures say and he will be the one that grows the most.

I told my mom right before I came home that I hoped that she was proud of the person I was coming home as - because I had become a product of her sacrifices...which is exactly what Kevin will become and it will be amazing!! I am SOOO jealous and I would totally trade places with him in a heartbeat!! You will do just fine and it will seriously fly by!