
As I sit here listening to the dogs wrestle in the other room I am reminded of a time when the sounds from the other room belonged to my children. The quiet play or the noisy rough housing seemed to be a never ending phase at my house. I will even admit to wishing they would hurry and get past the bickering-over-every-dang-thing phase. Now in the quiet I am reflecting back on the things I thought I would never miss. The night time rituals, the constant noise, the sticky hands. Even grocery shopping with my kids was a HUGE event. They would bicker and rant and beg and annoy until I wanted to pull my hair out. After every trip I would vow that there would never be another. Until the day came that it wasn't torture. It was actually a good time for talking. I'm not sure if all of you know this....but kids... especially pre-teens and teenagers talk more freely with their parents when the kids are semi-focused on something else. Like grocery shopping, for example. My kids and I have covered every topic from menstruation to sex to school and almost every other touchy subject you can think of in some form of grocery store or other. After Kevin graduated from high school, I would schedule my shopping trips around his classes. Some great conversations with my now grown (hard for me to admit that) son have taken place over the last year....in a Wal-Mart. One thing that I have never wished away or hated at all is our yearly "Back to School" photo. Somewhere in the pre-teen years each of them has expressed their displeasure toward this ritual...but I have persevered. I have some nice photos measuring their growth and physical changes from year to year. But this year I only had one photo to take. I think she looks older that her almost 16 years. That. scares. me. to. death. So here she is in all her 10th grade glory. Ready to be filled with the knowledge and wisdom that time and experience (and public school) offers. Here's to you my last born. Just don't fly off too fast.
7 comments:
I love taking my children for walks for the same reason they seem to be able to tell me everything that is going on with their lives! If you need noise, I'll send my two year old your way as he screaming and demanding me right now to get him a drink of water!!:)
oh my sweet little GJO! How I love her so! UGH! I am so not ok with her being so grown up and HOTT! Where are those bars for the windows? You could spray paint them! HAHAHAHA!
She looks absolutely beautiful! I love the back to school photos as well, we will always do it too!
Good luck Jo. You look GREAT!!!!
I find the one-on-one time is in the car...they really talk then. The first day of school photos always happens here....maybe with an eye roll..but it's our motherly duty to take that photo on the first day of school...or this year it was Grandpa who took Kelsey's.
She looks beautiful! That is crazy how time flies. I am holding on to each day and living in the moment. Or trying to, at least. We are all having such a good time together this year. It's crazy busy, but we aren't fighting at all. Just going from one thing to another and loving eachother's company.
That explains why the bike ride worked so well in talking with Abby this past weekend!
JimiJo looks gorgeous and confident. I am sure she is well prepared for school and life in general.
Post a Comment