Saturday, September 12, 2009

On The Flip Side

I have started subbing again. I am in the school that houses first and second grade now....all this month, actually. I am, of course, in special ed. They work their program a little differently there. Instead of working all day with the same 1 or 2 kids, every para works with all the kids. It gets broken up into 30 to 60 minute blocks. I can see definite pros and cons with this system. About the time you are needing a break from the kid you are working with...you get it as you move on to the next one. On the flip side....the side that matters most....the kids don't get a lot of continuity. Kids like my Shelby and others like her need consistency. They need to know what to expect and how things are going to be handled. Some of the others....the higher functioning kids....handle the change in paras quite well. So, there are a few tantrums and what not but all in all I like getting to know all of the kids. I do find myself focusing on Shelby a lot. She is still the sweet kid that she was last year. I just really like her. I have met some new friends. They are a funny bunch. I do think we will be great friends before my term there is over. I was pleasantly surprised while walking the halls my first day there. My friends from the classrooms I was in last year actually remembered me. My sweet (but slightly naughty) Dominick remembered me, and of course Max, "king of the wild things", told all of his buddies that I am the lady that read him his favorite book for the first time. Most of Shelby's class from last year gave me a hug or a high five. One little girl even said she missed me. ((sniff)) How sweet....So while some of the kids were the same and there were new faces and names to learn the feelings were a lot the same. I feel like I can make a difference with these kids....I feel like I am king of the munchkins when I walk down the hall fielding high fives. I actually like being around (most of) them. You know....until they try to (or successfully) bite me, or use me as a human tissue (ick, gross, gag) or screech really loudly. It is then that I do question my sanity. But mostly I look forward to seeing them and hearing about their triumphs and giving them a hug when they are down. Whoda thunk it. On the flip side...a lot of projects that I have been dying to start or have started have been put on the back burner. I have cabinets to paint and birthday presents to make....but they will have to wait. My days of endless "creative time" are over. It's back to reality. hahaha Yeah, me and reality have never been good friends. I'll get my projects done. It's just going to take a while. In the mean time....you'll probably be hearing about more of the insanity that happens when I am set loose in public places. It happens, that's all I can say.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Good luck with reality and hope you have a great school year with the kids. It takes a special someone to do what you are doing. :)

the mom~ said...

:) YOU'RE AWESOME!

Charlene said...

Looking forward to many more bathrooms stories for your book;)

Nae said...

Glad those munchkins have you to help them through their day! I'm looking forward to reading more about your encounters and experiences with them.

Kim said...

I am also very excited to here how these munchkins can push you further out side of your box then any adult could ever do! WHat can I say I like to see you squirm! You are fabulous and I love that you have found something like this that you enjoy! LOVE YA!